Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act: what does it do? when did the amended bill pass?
- 32 million nonelderly Americans will be covered
- 23 million people will remain uninsured, including illegal aliens
- $939 Billion cost of measure over 10 years
- March 23, 2010
Obama also passed Financial reform legislation called? when was it signed?
- Dodd-Frank Wall street reform and consumer protection act
- July, 21 2010
Does Obama's methods cause the economy to grow rapidly? Unemployment rate?
- no, us economy registers 2.8% growth in July
- sept 2009 first increase in 12 months
- october 2009: highest since April 1983
Economy of 2010 Growing Federal Debt
2008= $10.5 trillion and 2011 =15 trillion
Obama Foreign Policy: who is the secretary of state
What is the new direction in foreign policy
- Hillary Clinton
- Multilateralism and engagement
- withdrawing from Iraq
- Making Afghan/Iraq successful: 30,000 more troops sen to Afghanistan
- Overtures to muslim world
- dealing with Arab Spring uprisings
Why did Obama win the Nobel Peace Prize in 2009?
because of his foreign policy of Multilateralism and engagement
Mid-term elections for Obama: declining popularity?
- 2009 69%- 2011 43%
- Republicans are revitalized
Outcome of 2010 midterms: biggest midterm turnaround since 1948
- Republicans recapture majority in House of Reps
- Gain 6 seats in the senate
- 42% turnout vs 63% in 2008
- 120 mil votes cast in 2008 only 75 mil in 2010
Challenges for Obama
reps confront Obama on health care, taxes, budget, federal deficit
Government shutdown avoided in 2011
- over proposed budget cuts
- last minute deal between Obama and congressional republicans
Competing plans for reducing the federal debt?
- reps: lower taxes, cuts in medicare, changing medicare into a voucher system that subsidizes privately purchase health care insurance plans
- dems: end Bush era tax cuts and restore the top tax rates of 36%-39.6%
Debate over raising debt limit
- failure to raise debt limit - default by US government 1st in history
- reps demand steep budget cuts in exchange for raising debt limit
What last minute deal regarding raising the debt limit is reached?
- debt ceiling raised
- congressional super committe will identify 1.3 trillion in cuts over 10 years
Campaign of 2012 what does Obama try to pass to boost the sluggish economy
- The American Jobs Act 447 billion if tax breaks infrastructure spending
- Blocked by reps
What does the TEA party movement stand for?
- Taxed enough already party
- pro-free market
Occupy wall street
- 99% protesting against capitalism and the rich and poor gap
- tax the rich
- against big business and finance
- against corporate power in politics
- for lower education costs
- more job opportunities
- more direct and total democracy
Election of 2012, candidate, winner, how much? What do each candidate stand for?
- Romney: less gov, lower taxes, free enterprise
- traditional values of marriage, faith
- Obama: more government
- pro-choice, pro- same sex marriage
- Obama wins
- 51-48% popular vote
- 332-206 elect. college votes
Who were Obama's coalition?
single women, minorities, younger voters
Obama's agenda for second term
- gun control
- climate change
Does Obama's health care website work?
- no it is a joke
- aka Obama's Katrina
- popularity drops to 39%
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview