English: grammar; conditional and alternative structures
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- if/ when/ whenever + present tense,
- present tense
- General or scientific Facts and definitions
- If you burn fossil fuels, carbon dioxide is produced.
if+ present tense, will + bare infinitive/ imperative
- to give conditional instructions
- If we continue to pollute our planet, future Generations will suffer.
- real conditions in the present or future and their results in the present or future
- If the People from Greenpeace call, tell them I'll call them back later.
if + past simple / past continuous, would + bare infinitive
hypothetical conditions in the present or future and their hypothetical results in the present or future
What would the local government do if ther was an earthquake in the area?
if + past perfect, would have + past participle
hypothetical conditions in the past and their results in the past
A lot more People would have been trapped by the flood if there hadn't been a warning.
- hypothetical conditions in the past and their results in the present
- You might not be in so much Trouble if you hadn't started gambling.
- hypothetical conditions in the present and their results in the past
- if i were you, i would have made ...
- more formal form of the first conditional (with should)
- If the drought should continue.... / If the drought continues...
- more formal form of the second conditional
- If we were to stop... / If we stopped....
- more formal form of the third conditional
- If Charles Darwin hadn't visited ...
other conditional structures
- as / so long as
- provided / providing (that)
- on condition (that)
- if it wasn't for + noun
- were it not for + noun
- but for + noun
- if it hadn't been for + noun
- had it not been for + noun
- if ... (should) happen to
- in case of + noun
- in case
other uses of if
to mean "if it is true that"
to mean " if you are willing to"
to mean "I'm saying this in case"
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview