Equine De-worming Practices
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
How do horses usually get parasites?
Infect each other through their manure
What are the ways of giving De-wormer?
- Powder - used many years ago
- Injectable - Not used anymore due to bad reactions
- Intranasal tubing - Very effective, expensive,
- Liquid - easily spit out
- Paste - sticks in mouth, very effective
What is Traditional ways of deworming?
- Every 8 weeks
- Rotate families of de-wormers
What are the New research ways of de-worming?
Have your horse tested with FEC (Fecal Egg Count) and FECRTs (Fecal Egg Count Reduction Testing)
When do we begin de-worming with foals?
- 5 - 6 days with Panacur or Strongid to get thread worms
- every 30 days for first year
What should you deworm the mare with the day of foaling?
How do dowormers affetct the parasites?
- Interfere with energy metabolism
- Spasms of Paralysis
- Disruption of nervous control
What do Broad Spectrum Dewormers Kill?
- Large Strongyles
- Small Strongyles
What does Broad Spectrum Dewormers not kill?
Bots and Tapeworms
What does Narrow Spectum dewormer kill?
Name some Narrow Spectum Brands?
- Quest plus
- Zimecterin Gold
What combination or dewormers kills tape worms?
Ivermectin and Praziauanel
When do we deworm for bots?
After first freeze
What is a Daily De-wormer?
What stage of larve does Strongid-C affect?
Larval stage, does not kill adults
What parasites are not affected by Strongid-C?
Does not kill bots
Name some brands of Ivermectin
name some brands of Moxidectin
What dose Invermectin and Moxidectin kill?
- Broad spectum
Benzimidazoles is a ____ spectrum
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview