2. Idiom and metaphor
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
The person is in control of a situation
Be in the driving seat - irányító helyzetben van
1. wait to be able to see more clearly.
2. wait for an unsettled situation to become calm.
- wait for the dust to settle - vár amíg a elül a por
1. on the right road, path, or track
2. acting in a way that will bring a desired result
- on the right/wrong track - jó/rossz úton jár
- helyes/helytelen nyomra vezet
having serious problems and likely to fail
on the ropes - hajszálon függ ?
in a difficult situation
- in a tight corner - kutyaszorítóban van
- in a tight spot - szorult helyzetben van
keeps her plans or ideas secret
plays her cards close to her chest - takargatja a lapjait
has a plan or idea he will keep secret until needed
he's got sg up to his sleeve - ruhaujjba rejt
make use of an opportunity immediately because now is the best time to do it
strike while the iron is hot - addig üsd a vasat, amíg meleg
be sensitive about or feel offended by sg, as a result of sg that happened in your past
- have a chip on your shoulder - sértődékeny
- kihívóan viselkedik
think in a similar way
be on the same wavelenght - azonos hullámhosszon van
force yourself to so sg unpleasant or difficult that you have been avoinding
bite the bullet
be in a position of control or responsibility
be in the saddle - nyeregben van
learn how to do a particular job
learn the ropes - beletanul valamibe
go away quickly from an unpleasant place or situation
beat a hasty retreat - gyors visszavonulót fúj
make sb less confident by saying or doing sg unexpected
take the wind out of sb's sail - kifogni a szelet vki vitorlájából
control sg/sb carefully or strictly
- keep a tight rein on sg/sb - szigorúan kezel
- nem enged szabadjára vkit
become confused by what sb is saying because you think they are talking about sg else
get your wires crossed - keresztbe tesz?
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview