Card Set Information
Cont Art Final
- Offers a physical experience that can be emotional and intellectually involving. The work can be experienced from many angles. Sometimes the viewer is inside the work.
THE BODY IS A BATTLEGROUND
- A quote by artist "BARBARA KRUGER" encapsulates the idea that the body, uncluding its expression is sexuality "is one of the greatest political arenas of our time."
- Sometimes refers to bland-non places of transit like airport lounges, hotel rooms, highways, places that seem to have no history or background.
- Reveals how museums, galleries and other organizations affect how art is produced, displayed or marketed.
- Identity issues are complex because there is a great amount of DIVERSITY within the group.
- Art that contains moving parts.
CULTURE WARS OF THE 1980's (AND NOW)
- Debates over public funding for the ars, especially those deemed unpatriotic, un-Christian or disturbing.
- Live art activities that encompasses elements of theater and visual art.
- Often use the aural dimensions of places to immerse the audience in an experience of place.
- Refers to the widening of art practices as artists from around the world become known and have their work exposed.
- The idea that elements of human culture must be understood in terms of their relationship to a larger, overarching system or structure.
- The study of symbolic signs.
- Refers to generalized traits or experiences that members of a group share.
- An art treatment or object that is to remind us of our morality.
- An area or state of transition. Can refer to mental or physical transition.
- Fragile or volatile art. One effect is to make time an intentional, active element in artwork. The work is temporary.
- The tendency to put things into clear categories: male/female, gay/straight,western/non-western
- One of the major international exhibits of contemporary art.
- Known for large scale multi-media installations, as well as her work in video, sculpture, photography, textile art and printmaking.
- Arabic lady that was kicked out of her own country because of her artistic thoughts and opinions. FROM IRAN! VIDEO ART!
THE RAIN ROOM
A room that simulates being in the middle of a heavy rainstorm.
- Skull full of diamonds. One of the richest most successful artist, half of sharks and shit.
- The tubes with horns blowing in an exhibit.
Moving mouth, finger nail clippings, eggs, uses what is available to him, such as twisting plastic rap.
- A memorial wall.
- Architect with a crazy style.