The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the steps for balancing redox half reactions?
- Divide the skeleton reaction into two half reactions
- Balance atoms other than O and and, then O, then H.
- Balance charges by adding e- to the appropriate side
- Multiply one or both half reactions so their e-'s are equal
Define Anode and Cathode
- Oxidation occurs at the anode- Electrons lost by substance being oxidized leave the oxidation half-cell at the anode
- Reduction occurs at the cathode- Electrons gained by the substance being reduced enter the reduction half-cell at the cathode.
Calculate the standard cell potential
- >0 for a spontaneous process
Use Faraday's constant: don't kill yourself...
- n is moles of electrons transferred