String Quartet in C minor Op. 18, No. 4, 4th mvt.
Ludwig van Beethoven
CD 3; tks. 1-4
- This exciting rondo is the fourth movement of Beethoven's String Quartet in C minor, Op. 18, #4.
- A rondo features a tuneful main theme (A), which alternates with other contrasting themes.
- The form of this rondo can be outlines as A B A C A B A.
- This rondo's lively main theme (A) is in the style of a Gypsy dance.
- The main theme, which is in a minor key, contrast the other themes, which are all in major keys.
- Theme B is a lyrical legato melody, while theme C is playful with quick upward rushes passed from one string instrument to another.
- At its final return, the main theme (A) has a faster tempo (prestissimo) and leads into a frenzied conclusion.