Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
When did the Big Bang occur?
14 billion years ago
When did the Sun form?
5 billion years ago
What is a small whose object ice can vaporize in sunlight forming an atmosphere of dust and gas? sometimes has a tail.
What are the two types of comets?
What is an asteroid?
- usually made of rock but can be composed of metal
- no ice
What is a meteoroid?
- a small particle from a comet or asteroid orbiting the sun
- much smaller than asteroids
- some are collision impact degrees
What is a meteor?
- light phenomena that results when a meteoroid enters Earth's atmosphere and vaporizes
- "shooting star"
What is a meteorite?
a meteoroid that survives passage through earth's atmosphere and lands on earth's surface
What is an airburst?
an object that explodes in the atmosphere
What is Tunguska?
- caused by an airburst
- occurred when a an asteroid/comet fragment collided into the earth
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview