Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
For which scales can a mean be calculated
For which scales can a median be calculated
For which scales can a mode be calculated?
Advantages & Disadvantages of using the mean
- easily manipulated algebraically
- reliable because it takes into account every measure of a data set
greatly affected by extreme scores
Advantages & Disadvantages of Median
- little influence by extreme scores
- reasonable estimate of the center of a distribution
may not be good to ignore extreme values
Advantages & Disadvantages of Mode
not influenced by extreme scores
- may not represent the scores
- ignores extreme values completely
How to calculate IQR?
- Find the median location (n+1)/2
- Find quartile location (ML+1)/2
- Find Q1 & Q3 (low score + QL; high - QL)
- IQR= distance btwn Q3 - Q1
- Outliers: Q3+ (1.5 x IQR); Q1-(1.5 x IQR)
68-95-99.7 within 3 standard deviations of the mean
the difference btwn each score and the mean of the data set
single number representing the average amount of variation in a data set
Measure of the spread of scores out from the mean of the sample
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview