Essay - Know the Characteristics of Co-Dependency.
There are 8 characteristics (pg. 241-42).
- Short version:
- 1 - use of denial
- 2 - all or nothing thinking
- 3 - exaggerated need for attention
- 4 - avoidance of anger & other intense feelings
- 5 - lack of trust
- 6 - need for control
- 7 - struggles with an intimate relationship
- 8 - poor emotional regulation
(1) Fear - indicated by preoccupation with others' problems, mistrust of others, persistent anxiety, manipulative attempts to change another's behavior (esp. drinking behavior)
(2) Shame & guilt - persistence of s&g about another's behavior, self-loathing, isolation, and an appearance of superiority that masks low self-worth
(3) Prolonged despair - generalized pessimism toward world and hopelessness about changing one's current situation.
(4) Anger - expressed in a passive-aggressive manner. One may fear that becoming angry = loss of control. Anger is persistent.
(5) Denial - is rather consistent when involves family pain like drinking behavior. Also seen in consistent minimization of problems and use of justification/rationalization aimed at protecting person from perceived/real consequences
(6) Rigidity - cognitive, behavioral, and moral, spiritual and emotional inflexibility.
(7) Identity development - impaired. inability to take care of one's emotional needs and excessive need for other to validate one's self worth
(8) Confusion - about what is normal and what is real. Indicated by one's gullibility and indecisiveness.