The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the steps of the process for identifying customer needs?
- Gather raw data
- Interpret data
- Create hierarchy of needs
- Establish relative importance of the needs
What are three methods for gathering raw data from customers?
- Focus groups
- Observing the product in use
How many customers does a focus group contain?
8 to 12
Needs can be identified more efficiently by interviewing ___.
What are lead users?
customers who experience needs months or years ahead of the majority
A ___ is useful for planning exploration of both market and customer variety
customer selection matrix
What are the five guidelines for writing need statements?
- Express the need in terms of what the product has to do, not in terms of how it might do it
- Express the need as specifically as the raw data
- Use positive, not negative, phrasing
- Express the need as an attribute of the product
- Avoid the words "must" and "should"
Primary needs are more ___, secondary needs are more ___.
What is the outcome of establishing the relative importance of needs?
A numerical importance weighting for a subset of the needs
What are the basic approaches for establishing the relative importance of the needs?
- Relying on the consensus of the team members based on their experience with customers
- Basing the importance assessment on further customer surveys
What is the trade-off between the two approaches of establishing the relative importance of customer needs?
cost and speed versus accuracy