The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the steps for establishing target specifications?
- Prepare a list of metrics
- Collect competitive benchmarking information
- Set ideal and marginally acceptable target values
- Reflect on the results and the process
On a needs-metrics matrix, what do the rows correspond to?
The customer needs
On a needs-metrics matrix, what do the columns correspond to?
What are the guidelines for constructing a list of metrics?
- Metrics should be complete
- Metrics should be dependent, not independent of the variables,
- Metrics should be practical
- Some needs cannot easily be translated into quantifiable metrics
- The metrics should include the popular criteria for comparison in the marketplace
What is used to collect competitive benchmarking information?
A competitive benchmarking chart
What are two types of target value?
Ideal value and marginally acceptable value?
What is the ideal value?
The best result the team could hope for
What is the marginally acceptable value?
The value of the metric that would just barely make the product commercially viable
What are the five ways to express the values of the metrics?
- At least X
- At most X
- Between X and Y
- Exactly X
- A set of discrete values
Setting the final specifications is difficult because of ___.
Trade-offs almost always occur between ___ and ___
Technical performance metrics, cost
What are the five steps for setting the final specifications?
- Develop technical models of the product
- Develop a cost model of the product
- Refine the specifications, making trade-offs
- Flow down the specifications as appropriate
- Reflection on the results and the process
What is a technical model?
a tool for predicting the values of the metrics for a particular set of design decisions
___ refer to both analytical and physical approximations of the product
The manufacturing cost at which the company and its distribution partners can make adequate profits while still offering the product to the end customer at a competitive price is known as ___.
The target cost
What is the bill of materials?
A list of all parts
A scatter plot of the competitive products along two dimensions selected from the set of metrics; sometimes called a trade-off map is known as a ___.
Generally, the team will prepare how many competitive maps corresponding to a handful of critical products?
three or four