Geology Final Exam: Intro to the Earth
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
How old is the Earth?
4.6 billion years
What are the 3 primary layers of the Earth defined by composition?
- -Iron & Nickel
What are the 5 main layers of the Earth defined by physical properties?
- Lithosphere - Solid Rock
- Astenosphere - Melting
- Mezosphere - Solid
- Outercore - Liquid
- Innercore - Solid
List, describe, and give examples of the 3 rock types.
- Igneous - Rocks that form as magma cools and crystallizes.
- -Granite, Peridotite
- Sedimentary - Formed by the lithification of sediments
- -Sandstone, Limestone, Shale
- Metamorphic - Formed from preexisting rocks by metamorphism(high temperature pressure)
- -Marble(Limestone), Slate(Shale)
Draw the rock cycle.
Magma>Cooling and Crystallization>Igneous Rocks>Weathering and Erosion>Sediments>Lithification(Compaction and Cementation)>Sedimentary Rocks>Metamorphism(High Temperature Pressure)>Metamorphic Rocks>Melting
The geologic processes we see in action on Earth today have worked in much the same way throughout the geologic past.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview