The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
*What does Abiotic mean?
the non-living parts of the environment (air, water, sun, soil)
What does Adaptation mean?
the process of adjusting to the environment in order to survive
- Adaptations can be:
- Behavioral (speed for defense) or
- Structural (horns for defense)
*Define Alternative energy:
- energy source that is not oil-based.
- Examples are
- a. wind
- b. solar
- c. hydrogen cell
- d. biomass
- any of a class (Amphibia) of cold-blooded vertebrates (as frogs, toads, or salamanders) intermediate in many characters between fishes and reptiles and having gilled aquatic larvae and air-breathing adults
which spend the greater part of their lives in salt water
, but migrate into fresh water streams for reproduction
- steelhead trout
some decomposers use this form of cellular respiration
to get energy
by breaking down food
in the absence of oxygen
- Further explanation
- When we break down food into energy we use oxygen as part of the process(which is a chemical reaction). This is aerobic(needs air). Anaerobic means that food particles are broken down into energy without the use of oxygen. Oxygen is the key ingredient either there or missing in both these reactions.
growing, living in or frequently in water.
What is an Arachnid:
having a segmented body
divided into two regions
of which the anterior bears four pairs of legs
but no antennae
refers to something that can be broken down or decomposed by living things.
the study of life
What is a Browser:
an herbivore that consumes vegetation other that grasses like bush leaves, wildflowers, tree leaves and stems, etc…
They eat more than just grasses!
What is Camouflage:
colors, tones, patterns that enable an organism to blend in with its surrounding. Some organisms, for example, have skin or a coat that enables them to hide from predators.
What is a Carnivore:
- a meat eater.
What is *Carrion :
the decaying flesh of a dead living thing; food for a scavenger.
The most common carrion you see are the animals hit by cars on the side of the road.
Define *Carrying capacity:
The balance between any life form and its environment.
It is frequently expressed as a number of any given organisms that a given area can support. The population that an area can support at a given time.
Carrying capacity varies throughout the year. The population number varies year to year, dependent upon conditions within the habitat such as weather, food, and shelter.
Dense growth of shrubs or small trees.
What does *Colonial mean?
an inhabitant of a colony
All the plants and animals in a particular habitat that are bound together by food chains and other interrelationships.
a symbiotic relationship
between two kinds of organisms in which one obtains food or other benefits from the other without damaging or benefiting it
- The most common example is the clownfish and the sea anemone. The clownfish shelters among the tentacles of the sea anemone, and the sea anemone is not affected.
What is Competition:
When two or more organisms have the potential for using the same resource
. May be with animals of its kind (species)or with other species.
- I have 5 Coyotes and 2 owls who live at my house and both need to eat mice. If there are only 1000 mice then they need to compete to see who can eat more mice.
- Also, the two owls are competing with each other. One owl may be better and catching mice and therefore out competing the other owl.
What is Compost:
a fertilizing mixture made from decomposed yard and kitchen scraps.
What does Coniferous mean?
This refers to cone bearing trees.