Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
Name the authorized varieties in the Vin de pays de l'Atlantic
- Gironde allows Chardonnay, Chenin Blanc, Cinsault
- Dordogne and Lot et Garrone allows Syrah
- Charentes, Charentes Maritime are other depts in this VdP
How much VdT and VdP and AOC was produced in 2008 in the Gironde dept?
- AOC: 119,071 hl (98.8%), Red Bordeaux: 25% AOC
- VdP: 1337 hl (1.1%)
- VdT: 118 hl (0.1%)
- Total: 120,526 hl
How many gallons is a hl?
How many hl is 100 gallons?
Do all AOC wines undergo an annual chemical analysis and blind tasting to verify tipicity before receiving certification?
How much dry white Bordeaux Superieur is made?
0 -- all whites must be semi-sweet / moelleux
How does Bordeaux Superieur differ from Bordeaux?
- Smaller yield (50 vs 55 hl/ha red, 50 vs 65 white) Higher minimum alcohol (11-13.5% vs 10% red, 12-15% vs 10% white) Reds aged min 12 mo; Whites aged 6-18 mo.
- Usually older vines
- Occasionally use oak
What AOC do clairet, rose, and cremant fall into? Why?
- Bordeaux AOC
- Grapes sourced from anywhere in Bordeaux
How is yield measured?
- hl/ha or tons/acre
- Density matters for hl/ha
- 50 hl/ha @ 3300 vines/ha = 59 hl/ha @ 4500 vines/ha (about18% more)
What is the maximum yield for Bordeaux AOC?
- White: 65 hl/ha
- Red/Clairet/Rose: 55 hl/ha
What is the maximum yield for Bordeaux Superieur AOC?
What is the alcohol range for Bordeaux AOC?
- White/Red/Clairet: 10%
- Rose: 11%
- Dry White: 10-13%
What is the alcohol range for Bordeaux Superieur AOC?
- White: 12-15%
- Red: 11-13.5%
Name the styles allowed for cremant de Bordeaux
Dry white Rose
Does Bordeaux AOC have regulated percentages?
- Not for red, clairet, rose, cremant
- White and Bordeaux Blanc Sec must be minimum 70% S/S/M with remainder of Merlot Blanc, Colombard, Mauzac, Ondenc, Ugni Blanc
Does Bordeaux Superieur AOC have regulated percentages?
- Not for red
- White must be minimum 70% S/S/M with remainder of Merlot Blanc, Colombard, Mauzac, Ondenc, Ugni Blanc (same as Bordeaux AOC) AND maximum 15% Merlot Blanc
What minimum density must Bordeaux wines be planted?
- 2000 vines/ha
- Yield allows max of 60K buds/ha (= 30 buds/vine)
Name some areas that can bear no other AOC than Bordeaux Eastern Libournais
- Parts of the Cotes de Blaye
- OTHER than white in Entre-Deux-Mers (unless more specific AOC)
Is red wine produced in the Entre-Deux-Mers region?
- 78% of Entre-Deux-Mers production is red!
- Most is Bordeaux or Bordeaux Superieur AOC