Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
Entre-Deux-Mers sits between what two rivers
Describe the soils of Entre-Deux-Mers
- Series of plateaus (flat highland) and hills cut by rivers
- Vines are interrupted by corn fields, plum orchards, woodland and meadows
- Along rivers: alluvial sand and gravel
- Plateaus and slopes: Gravel, clay-sand, clay-limestone
- Sub-soils: clay, clay-limestone, limestone, sandy-clay, sandstone (agglomerated gravel and sand)
Name the first Bordeaux AOC to mandate lab analysis
Why do many produces in Entre-Deux-Mers use Bordeaux AOC rather than Entre-Deux-Mers AOC?
- Fewer restrictions
- Bordeaux AOC can be 100% varietal, 2K vines/ha, 65 hl/ha
- Entre-Deux-Mers AOC mandates >70% SB/Sem, 4.5K vines/ha, 60 hl/ha, tasting plus lab analysis
- Most of the acreage devoted to these AOCs is located in the center of the Entre-Deux-Mers region
What wines are made in Haut-Benauge?
- Entre-Deux-Mers-Haut-Benauge: dry-whites from Sem/SB/Muscadelle with up to 30% Merlot Blanc and up to 10% Colombard, Ugni Blanc, Mauzac
- Bordeaux-Haut-Benauge: dry and moelleux whites from Sem/SB/M only
What is the size of the AOCs within Entre-Deux-Mers?
Haut-Benauge: 150 ha
Describe the best vineyards for sweet white wines in Entre-Deux-Mers
Slopes close to river
Which Entre-Deux-Mers AOC makes the best sweet white wine?
Sainte-Croix-du-Mont (most gravel)
What types of wine are made in Entre-Deux-Mers?
- Entre-Deux-Mers: dry white
- Entre-Deux-Mers-Haut-Benauge: dry white
- Bordeaux-Haut-Benauge: dry white, semi-sweet white
- Cotes de Bordeaux-Saint-Macaire: dry white, semi-sweet white
- Cadillac: sweet white
- Loupiac: sweet white
- Sainte-Croix-du-Mont: sweet white
- Graves de Vayres: red, dry white, semi-sweet white
- Sainte-Foy-Bordeaux: red, dry white, semi-sweet white
- Premiers Cotes de Bordeaux: red, dry white, semi-sweet white
How much red wine is produced in Entre-Deux-Mers?
78% of planted acreage is bottled as Bordeaux and Bordeaux Superieur (because Entre-Deux-Mers is a dry white AOC only)
Name 3 terrains unique to Entre-Deux-Mers
- Battantes: very fine grained sands and clays found on the plateaus
- Boulbenes: battantes compacted into hardpan
- Ribot: iron-rich deposits
- Most easterly of Bordeaux AOCs
- Red is allowed but most wine is white and semi-sweet
Describe Graves de Vayres
- Left bank (south side) of Dordogne where Isle river deposits gravel
- Most wine produced is Cabernet Sauvignon
- Whites are Sauvignon Blanc/Semillon blends but up to 30% Merlot Blanc is allowed
How many AOCs can wine produced in Haut-Benauge use?
The nine communes of Haut-Benauge can choose from 5 AOCs (Bdx, Bdx Sup, Bdx-HB, EDM, EDM-HB)