Describe the different between enzymatic and chemical process in FAE production?
- 1. Free/immobilised lipases(i.e. Candida rugosa)
- 2. Milder reaction conditions
- 3. Substrate selectivity
- 4. Easy product recovery and no separation process required
- 5. Environmental friendly
- 1. Alkaline catalyst (i.e NaOH, CaO)-if oils are low FFA. Directly converted to fatty acid esters and proceeds faster than acid- catalyzed reaction.
2. Acidic catalyst
(i.e sulphonated ion exchange resin)-if oils are up to 30% FFA
. Not direct
converted to fatty acid esters, first converted to esters then alcoholysis of triacylglycerol using alkaline catalyst
3. Require purification of product, corrosive