Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
What is Adaptation?
Adaptation is the process of adjusting to the environment in order to survive
. Can be Structural or behavioral.
- Structural adaptation: the long neck of the giraffe let's them eat leaves in trees that are higher up than any other animal can reach. This allows them to survive periods of drought and low food supply by increasing the food available to them.
- Behavoiral adaptation:
- Opossum playing dead is an example of a behavioral adaptation. The opossum plays dead in order to fool predators so they will leave them alone and not eat them. This helps them survive being eaten by mountain lions and other large carnivores.
What is an amphibian?
An amphibian refers to any cold-blooded vertebrates
(eg frogs, toads, salamanders
) that have gilled aquatic larvae
(must live in the water at this state) and air breathing adults (have many characteristics of fish and reptiles).
- Salamander larvae live in water and have gills (take oxygen from water).
- Salamander adults live in and out of water and have lungs (take oxygen from air).
KEY WORDS: Larvae have gills, adults have lungs.
What does anadromous refer to?
which spend the greater part of their lives in salt water
; but migrate into fresh streams for reproduction.
- Steelhead trout
that had a body divided into two parts; eight legs
, but no antennae (spider
What does it mean to be Camouflaged?
Do you see the fish? It has both colors, tones and patterns
that enable it to blend in with it's surroundings. Some organisms, for example, have a skin or coat color that enables them to hide from predators
What is Diurnal?
Active during the day.
- To remove impurities from a liquid or gas by passing through a porous surface.
What does Fauna refer to?
A collective term for animal life.
What does Flora refer to?
Flora is the collective term for plant life.
What does Feral refer to?
Feral refers to a domesticated animal or plant that reverts back to being wild. In Sacramento a lot of cats (that are domesticated or are pets) revert back to being feral (wild) cats.
What is Hibernation?
Hibernation is the act of passing the winter, or a portion of it, in a state of sleep
; a torpid or resting state.
- Animals that hibernate are:
What is an invertebrate:
refers to an animal that has no backbone like insects or spiders or squid.
What is Larva?
Larva is the immature, wingless and often wormlike form that hatches from the egg of many insects. It grows and changes into a pupa or chrysalis then the adult comes out.
What is a Mammal?
A warm blooded vertebrates
that feed their babies with milk from the mother; have skin with hair
- Examples include:
Describe Pupa Stage:
the middle stage of a metamorphic insect (bee, moth or beetle) between the stages of the larva and the adult
. It is usually enclosed in a cocoon
or other covering.
What is a reptile?
Air-breathing vertebrates that are cold blooded and a body usually covered with scales or bony plates.
A water fowl is _____________.
Give an example.
an aquatic bird that swims.
What is metamorphosis?
A series of changes in shape and function that certain animals go through as they develop from an immature form to an adult.
- Caterpillars become butterflies
- tadpoles become frogs
What is a micro-organism?
a very small creature you can only see in a microscope.
What is migration?
Its when animal leave a region to find better or more food, water or shelter.
Define an organism:
A living thing.
What does Nocturnal mean?
active at night.
- Animals that are nocturnal:
A population of individuals that are more or less alike and that are able to breed and produce fertile offspring under natural conditions.
What is a vertebrate?
an animal with a backbone.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview