The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Known widely and usually unfavorably; infamous
- [kɔːl ɔn]
- to ask; appeal to：They called on him to represent them
- to visit for a short time：to call on friends.
- Given to excessive and often trivial or rambling talk; tiresomely talkative.See Synonyms at talkative
- [inˈkwaiə ˈaːftə]
- To ask about the health or condition of
- Inference or judgment based on inconclusive or incomplete evidence.
- A statement, an opinion, or a conclusion based on guesswork.
- To make very angry or impatient; annoy greatly.
- The act or process of recollecting past experiences or events.
- An experience or event recollected.所忆往事
- Tiresome by reason of length, slowness, or dullness; boring.See Synonyms at boring
- Obsolete Moving or progressing very slowly.缓慢的
- An apparatus in which electricity or a fuel is used to furnish heat, as for cooking or warmth.
- Having fallen into a state of disrepair or deterioration, as through neglect; broken-down and shabby.
- Lacking hair on the head.
- Lacking a natural or usual covering
- To treat with affection and tenderness; hold dear
- cherish one's family; fine rugs that are cherished by their owners.
- To keep fondly in mind; entertain
- cherish a memory.
- Gospel Bible One of the first four books of the New Testament, describing the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus and recording his teaching.
- The service or favor for which one is indebted to another.
- To set up a blockade against.See Synonyms at besiege
- To recite fluently and usually at length
- Sounded or spoken in an unvarying tone.
- To make known unintentionally
- To give aid or information to an enemy of; commit treason against
- A minute amount; trace.
- Being or seeming to be without an end; endless.See Synonyms at continual
- deep sincerity or seriousness
- Surpassing others; preeminent or supreme.
- Lying beyond the ordinary range of perception超然的
- Refinement and delicacy of performance, execution, or artisanship.
- Skillful, subtle handling of a situation; tactful, diplomatic maneuvering.
- Abbr. Rev.Used as a title and form of address for certain clerics in many Christian churches. In formal usage, preceded by the
- Reverend 缩写 Rev.大人：用作对许多基督教堂中某些神职人员的称号及敬称形式。在正式用法中,前面加the ：
- the Reverend Jane Doe; Reverend John Jones.
- A man or boy; a fellow.
- An open artificial channel or chute carrying a stream of water, as for furnishing power or conveying logs.
- [təːn ʌp]
- To make an appearance; arrive
- [lei fɔː]
- To be waiting to attack
- Having a healthy reddish color; flushed.
- Having an abundant supply of money; affluent.富足的
- To urge by strongoften stirring argumentadmonitionadviceor appeal
was bound for
- [wəs baund fɔː]
- a euphemistic word for damnedest.
- [kʌm ɔn]
- To convey a particular personal image
- A female horse or the female of other equine species.
- A horse, especially
- An old or worn-out horse.
- A chronic respiratory disease, often arising from allergies, that is characterized by sudden recurring attacks of labored breathingchest constrictionand coughing.
- An infectious viral disease occurring in mammalian, characterized by loss of appetite, a catarrhal discharge from the eyes and nosevomitingfeverlethargypartial paralysis caused by destruction of myelinated nerve tissueand sometimes death.Also called canine distemper
- Pulmonary tuberculosis. No longer in scientific use.
- The last part
- The frayed end of a length of cloth or rope.
- To bound or prance about in a sprightly manner; caper.
- To stand or sit with a leg on each side of; bestride
- A loud, distressing noise.See Synonyms at noise
- [fetʃ ʌp]
- To bring to a halt; stop.
- To reach a stopping place or goal; end up.
- To solve by means of arithmetic.
- To put in secret writing; encode.
- [let ɔn]
- To allow to be known; admit
- To pretend.
- adj. Located at or forming the back or rear; posterior
- To grasp or seize hastily, eagerly, or suddenly.
- A small ring-shaped cake made of rich, light dough that is fried in deep fat.Also called Regional olicook
- Variant of somerset
- Steady on the feet.
- To fasten, join, or attach with or as if with a nail.
- [siŋ aut]
- To call out loudly.
- To fall or lie down heavily and noisily.
- A small mass or lump.
- Not mattering one way or the other.
- Characterized by a lack of partiality; unbiased
fair and square
- [fɛər ʌnd skwɛər]
- n. 跨距
- To stand or sit with a leg on each side of; bestride
- A group of organisms having common ancestors and certain distinguishable characteristics, especially a group within a species developed by artificial selection and maintained by controlled propagation.
- To put (one's stake) into the pool in poker.
- Exceptionally large; enormous
- Shockingly hideous or frightful.See Synonyms at outrageous
- Deviating greatly from the norm in appearance or structure; abnormal.
- An open framework made of strips of metal, woodor similar material overlapped or overlaid in a regularusually crisscross pattern.
- A small finch (Serinus canaria) native to the Canary Islands that is greenish to yellow and has long been bred as a cage bird.
- Arising from or marked by careful consideration
- Done with or marked by full consciousness of the nature and effects; intentional蓄意的
- Not professional; unskillful.
- To be spilled or splashed
- Equal or identical in degree, extent, or amount
- n. 起伏,耸涌
- v.To raise or lift, especially with great effort or force举起
- To move or stir slightly
- Filled with disgust or irritated impatience.
- To lift (something) in order to judge or estimate its weight.
- To hoist (something); heave.
- To expel gas noisily from the stomach through the mouth; burp.
- To erupt or explode.
- To gush forth.
- A person without a permanent home who moves from place to place.
- A wanderer; a rover.
- Fond of the company of others; gregarious.
- To accost and detain (a person) in conversation by or as if by grasping the person's outer garments