The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Changing Attitudes to gender roles in UK
- Women can vote and become MPs because of changes in law
- Women can do any jobs they want because of changes in law and effects of war
- women are better educated because of effective contraception & equal rights legislation
- Men are more involved in child care and life because of changes in attitude
Christian Attitudes to equal right for women (Against)
- Bible says women should obey their husbands
- Bible says women should be silent in church
- All of Jesus's disciples were men
- Jesus left the church in hands of Saint Peter and he was a man
Christian attitudes to equal rights for women (For)
- Bible says 'God created men and women in his own image'
- Jesus did not discriminate between genders; he talked to and taught both
- Women followers stayed by Jesus on the cross and were first to see him after resurrection
- Golden Rule suggests that everyone should be respected
Muslim attitudes to gender roles (Male)
All humans are equal but not the same
- Qur'an teaches that men should protect women
- Men should provide for wife and children - raising them within Islam
- Should dress in modest clothing
- Should attend mosque for prayer
- Worship separately to women in mosque
Muslim attitudes to gender roles (Female)
All humans are equal but not the same
- Required to have children
- Expected to look after home and children - raising children within Islam
- Should dress modestly in loose clothing
- Do not have to attend mosque for prayer
- Worship separately to men
- Are free to work and have a career
UK - a multi-ethnic society (Problems)
- Ignorance - being uninformed or uneducated about others
- Racism - the belief that some ethnic groups are superior to others
- Discrimination - treating someone differently because of prejudice
- Persecution - as a result of racism, many people have their human rights abused
UK - a multi-ethnic society (Benefits)
- Encourages racial harmony - helps people understand each other
- Gives wider a variety of music, food, clothes and culture
- Brings new people with fresh ideas
Government promoting community cohesion
- Race Relations Act 1976: made it unlawful to discriminate against people
- Made it illegal to to use abusive or insulting words of racial nature in public
- Commission for racial equality: created to fight racism, teach importance of racial equality & deal with complaints of racism
- 'Britishness' test: all immigrants take it to ensure they have a basic knowledge of British Life
Christians promoting racial harmony (Why)
- Jesus: The parable of the Good Samaritan Jesus taught to love one another.
- Golden Rule: Treat others the way you would like to be treated.
- Bible: God created man in his own image.
- Church: Condemns racism and encourages all Christians to treat everyone the same.
Muslims promoting racial harmony (Why)
- Qur'an: No race is better than any other
- Prophet: There is no difference between Arabs and Non-Arabs
- Allah created all humans
- All people are descended from Adam and Eve
Muslims promoting racial harmony (How)
- Muslims pray together in Arabic.
- Muslims from all over the world make pilgrimage (Hajj) to the holy city.
- All Muslims fast during the month of Ramadan.
- All Muslims pray facing Makkah.
UK - Multi-faith society (Positives)
- Greater understanding and tolerance or beliefs of other.
- Varied and rich culture life from experiencing different culture and traditions.
- Better understanding of different viewpoints.
- New ways of living and enjoying life.
UK - Multi-faith society (Negatives)
- It's not always easy to be open and understanding towards the view of others.
- There have been examples of religious persecution and hatred.
- Religious tension exists between different faith groups.
- Beliefs and values of some groups may be ignored.
Issues in multi-faith society
- Conversion: one group of believers try to convert to another faith and this can cause conflict.
- Interfaith Marriages: Two people from different faiths getting married. This can cause conflict between two families with different beliefs.
- Raising Children: In interfaith marriages, both parents want the children to follow their religion and a mixture of belief can cause confusion.
Religion and Community Cohesion
- Religious Groups: (Council of Christians) work together to open discussions and heal divisions between faiths.
- Basic Understanding: God made all humans equal.
- Celebration of festivals and worship: show respect and unity.
- Encouraging representation of different faith groups in jobs: allows good role models and unity.