Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
name 3 fleas.
- ctenocephalides felis cat
- ctenocephalides canis dog
- pulex irritans man
what type of parasites are they
temporary parasites and can only infect at adult stage adult flea
are fleas zoonotic
yes technical they are
What are the feauture of flies
- 3 pairs of legs, wingless 1 pair of antennae
- latterly compressed flattened
- dark brown up to 4mm long
- bristles all over body head has long spines called combs piercing mouth parts adapted for sucking blood and differentiating between species
what is injected into host and what does it cause
saliva is ingected into host and as the flea feeds and causes allergens in flea allergy.
C.felis lifecycle is
how does the lifecycle work
- female lays eggs on ground or on the host and they fall to the ground
- larvae hatch from eggs after 2 days
- up to 2 weeks depending on condition
- larvae appear as bristle maggots
- moult twice in 1 week
- they spin a cocoon and pupate within for 2 weeks or up to two years
- they then emerge as adults
- They will not emerge unless they can detect a host by pressure co2 and temperature
- hence the length of the life cycle varying form 3-4 weeks to 2years.
what can all three fleas act as intermediate hosts for
tapeworm dipyilidium caninium
how do they act as intermediate hosts
- the flea larvae ingest the tapeworm eggs which then devolps along with the flea
- final host ingest the flea during grooming
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview