The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Christians and Bible
- Teachings of Jesus (Sermons) - should use it as a guide and follow it.
- Jesus's life (Gospels) - son of God so he is a perfect example to follow.
- Bible is God's word and as he is omniscient, we should follow him.
- The Decalogue - most important rules so we should follow them.
Christians and Church
- The Pope is inspired by God - so he must be right.
- Christian leaders spend their lives studying Christianity and the Bible - they have knowledge.
- Contemporary issues can be studied - genetic engineering didn't exist before.
- Church is body of Christ - by following Church, we are following Christ.
Situation Ethics (For)
- The church teaches 'love thy neighbor'
- Bible says 'Do everything in love'
- Jesus followed situation ethics as he over-ruled the Old Testament
- Christianity is based on forgiveness, by doing the most loving thing, you'll be forgiven.
- Law and teachings of Bible
- Teachings and guidance of church
- The conscience
- Principles of situation ethics
Humans right are important to Christians
- The right to marry - thou shalt not commit adultury
- Right to life - thou shalt not murder
- Right to fair trial - Jesus listened to a women who was blamed for committing adultery
- Right to equality - Everyone created in the image of God
Human Rights in UK
- right to life
- right to food
- right to liberty
- right to education
- right to healthcare
- right to privacy
Why is it important to take part in Democratic processes?
- Allows us to have a say in decisions.
- Decisions made affect everyone.
- Only way to bring change.
- People have fought for the right to vote and we should respect that.
- Genetic disorders may be cured using genetic therapy to replace missing genes
- Hormones and proteins can be produced for example insulin for diabetics
- Inherited disorders like cystic fibrosis could be removed from embryos
- It could be used to grow better crops
Christian Attitudes to genetic engineering (For)
- GM crops do not cause harm so acceptable
- Golden Rule - Cure disorders
- Follow Jesus's example and try and improve other people's health
- God has given us knowledge and we to use it to help save human lives
Christian Attitudes to genetic engineering (Against)
- Only God can create life - shouldn't play God
- Life is sacred and special so humans shouldn't do anything against it.
- Life begins at conception so using embryos is murder
- Things like short sightedness doesn't cause suffering so it doesn't need to be cured