Summary Questions from Course (L1-L7
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
How does the list of inventory objects differ between the Hosts and Clusters view and the VMs and Templates view?
A folder object is displayed only in the view in which it was created. In other words, the Lab Servers folder is displayed only in the Hosts and Clusters view. The folders named LabVMs and VMTemplates are displayed only in the VMs and Templates view. Also, the folder icons look different in the two views.
What vSphere feature integrates with Microsoft Powershell?
Explain the terms: Memory Hardening; Kernel Module Integrity; Trusted Platform Module
- Memory Hardening – ESXi kernel, user-mode apps and executables are located at random, nonpredictable memory addresses.
- Kernal module Integrity -Digital signing guarantees authenticity of modules.
- TPM – Hardware creates a trusted platform.
How many VMs theoretically can run on one host?
Name 6 types of vNICs, and which require VMware Tools be installed.
- - Vmxnet 0,2 enhanced, and 3
- - El000
- - Flexible
- - vlance
Which vNICs support jumbo frames?
- - Vmxnet 2 enanced
- - Vmxnet3
When creating a VM with the Wizard, you choose between the Typical and Custom configuration. What information must be supplied to each of these?
- VM Name and inventory location
- Datastore on where to store the vm files
- Guest os and version
- Disk paramaetres - disk size and provisioning
- Other also requires
- VM#, # of CPus, cores per CPU and size of memory
- Number of nics, network to connect to
- Whether to create a disk or use and existing disk
- Disk provisioning settings – store virtuak disk with the vm or not; virtual device node; mo
When a host is added to the vCenter inventory, what service (process) is installed on the host?
Name another vCenter services.
What is required on the vSphere Client to access an additional vCenter service?
Plug in manager
Name 3 plug-ins and the tabs/views they manifest in on the vCenter Server console.
- Vcenter server storage monitoring service = storage views tab
- Vcenter hardware status = hardware status tab
- Vcenter service status = health status (home -> admin – vcenter service status)
How many virtual CPUs are required by the vCenter Virtual Appliance?
Name 4 views available when you run the vSphere Client against a vCenter Server.
Hosts and clusters; vms and templates; datastore cluster; and networking
What version of VMFS is used by ESXi 4.0?
VMFS5 uses a block size of what size?
What are the ways vSphere identifies storage devices?
1. SCSI Inquiry identifiers - naa.number
; t10.number; eui.number - unique and persistent.
2. Path-based identifier - mpx.path - not unique and not persistent.
3. Legacy identifier - vml.number - unique and may be used by non-local devices as sole identifier.
Runtime name - vmhbaAdapter:CChannel:TTarget:LLUN - represents the name of the first path to the device. It is not a reliable identifier for the device,and is not persistent.
What are the 3 types of iSCSI initiators, and which allows for ESXi boot from an iSCSI SAN?
- - Independent hardware iscsi (HBA)
- - Dependent hardware iSCSI
- - Softrware iSCSI
You'd like to configure software iSCSI. What must be configured on a virtual switch?
- - 1. Create vmkernal port for ip storage
- - 2. Enable iscsi software adapter
- - 3. Confgirue the iqn and alias
- - 4. Configure iscsi software aapter protpiers – (static/dynamic discovery; iscsi port bindgin)
- - 5. Configure chap
What is required to set up multipathing with the software iSCSI initiator?
- 1. Multiple vmnics each on…
- 2. ..each on a separate kernel port…
- 3. …associated with the iscsi initiator
Name 3 uses for an RDM:
- - A VM is using storage array level snapshot applications
- - A VM is clustered with a phsyica lmachine
- - If you want to keep data physical.
What is an overcommitted datastore?
When the total provisioned space of the vms is greater than the datastore
What are the 3 multipathing policies? When are each appropriate for what type of storage array?
- - Fixed
- - Mru
- - Round robin
Explain what the front end is used for in the vSphere Storage Appliance.
Communication: vsa members –vsa manager; esxi-nfs volumes; vsa cluster-vsa cluster server
Explain what the back end is used for in the vSphere Storage Appliance.
Replication (NFS) volume and its replica on another host; clustering comms of all cluster members; vmotion/storage vmtoin traffic.
What component related to the VSA runs on vCenter only if you have 2 ESXi hosts?
VSA cluster service
You'd like to use the customization feature to customize a Windows 2003 VM deployed from a template. What must you do to enable this?
You want to add a hard disk to a VM. You right-click the VM and select Edit Settings. What tab of the VM's settings do you click to add the hard disk?
You're trying to "hot-add" memory to a VM (while it is powered on). You find you cannot. Why not? (Four Reasons)
- - Install vmware tools
- - VMs must be hardware version 7
- - Guest os must support cpu/memory hot plug
- - Hot plug must be enabled in the options table of the vm properties box.
What are the two compatibility modes for an RDM?
- - Physical compatibiely
- - Virtual compatibiltiy
Which compatibility mode allows you to clone the VM with its RDM?
- Virtual compatibiltiy
You increased a VM's virtual disk size. Yet, for this Windows VM, in Explorer it appears the disk is the same size. What additional action do you need to take?
- Diskpart to expand it.
Name at least 5 requirements for VMotion to succeed.
- - Common datastore
- - 1gbps nics
- - Same subnet
- - No connection to a virtual device
- - No connection ot an internal standard vswitch (zero uplinks)
- - No cpu affinity
- - If rdm must be accessible
- - If swap file must be accessible.
When Storage VMotion actions are executed by the storage array, what is this called?
Hard Acceleraiton offered as part of the VMware Storage API Array Integration (VAAI)
What happens to the virtual machine's disk (the -flat.vmdk file) when you take a snapshot?
Guest OS can no longer write to the filel Instead they write to the delta disk (delta.vmdk)
What file contains writes after a snapshot is taken? (part of the file name is a sufficient answer)
What are the 10 best practices for fibre channel availability
- 1. One VMFS datastore per LUN.
- 2. Do not change default path policy
- 3. Document everything.
- 4. Plan for failure:
- 5. Copy topology maps several times.
- 6. Cross off links/switches/hbas etc. to verify your design.
- 7. Ensure that the Fibre Channel HBAs are installed in the correct slots
- 8. Balance PCI bus load among the available buses in the server.
- 9. Become familiar with the various monitor points in your storage network
- 10. Be cautious when changing IDs of LUNs with VMFS datastores. Must rescan to reset IT if VMs are not running on the VMFS.
What are the 3 best practices for fibre channel performance?
- 1. RAID group containing the ESXi LUNs should not include LUNs used by other servers that are not running ESXi.
- 2. Enable read/write caching
- 3. distribute the paths to the LUNs among all the SPs to provide optimal load balancing.
What are the best practices for configuring server for optimal fibre channel peformance?
- 1.Place each LUN on a RAID group that provides the necessary performance levels.
- 2. Sufficient number of HBAs for maximum throughput for all the applications
- 3.Dual redunant fabric for availability
- 4. if you expect to run four I/O intensive applications, allocate four times the performance capacity for the ESXi LUNs.
- 5. Multiple ESXi systems in conjunction with vCenter Server, the performance needed from the storage subsystem increases correspondingly.
- 6. Number of outstanding I/Os needed by applications running on an ESXi system should match the number of I/Os the HBA and storage array can handle.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview