The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What steps would I need to take to upgrade a Distributed Switch?
- Home -> Networking -> Right-click on datacenter and select "New VDS" -> First menu is "Select VDS Version"
- Select an older version if host are older.
What modules make up the VMware ecosystem?
- VMware Update Manager - managing upgrades
- Data Recovery - disk based backup and recovery
- VMware Auto Deploy - deploy of host images so no startup
- vShield - firewall/end-point security
- vCenter Orchestrator
Identify five components of the VMware ecosystem and explain them
- View - thin clients
- SRM - cheap san
- Lab Manager -
- VMware Data Recovery - non invasive backups of VMs
- VMware Data Protection -
What are the differences between vSphere with Operations Management and vSphere?
- vSphere with operatoins management includes:
- a. Health Monitoring and Performance Analytics
- b. Capacity Management and Optimization
- d. Operations Dashboard and Root Cause Analysis
Compare/Contrast thin array vs. virtual disk thin provisioning
Array thin provisioning - guides how host sees resources in array and allows orgs to overprovision the physical array
Virtual Disk Thin Provisioning - Guides how much of the datastore is allocated to the the VM.
How would you enable TSO support for a VM?
- 1. Set the MTU to 9000
- 2. Edit the adapter settings, selecting the TCO checkbox.
- 3. Edit the adapter and select the VMXnet 4.3 driver
- 4. Delete the adapter and in the adapter type else Enhanced vmxnet
Where would you scan/rescan storage?
Home > Hosts and Cluster > Select the host > configuration tab > storage > select recan all link
If you add a VMFS volume, what can you do to shorten the time needed to scan for the storage?
Select "scan for new vmfs volumes" on the popup (instead of "Scan for new Sotrage Devices")
If you elect to add an OS during VM configuration, what screen are you taken to and what do you need to do?
Directly to the new VM properties screen where you select on the CD/DVD option and add the location of your ISO file
Right Click on a VM and select "Edit Settings" What are the four tabs of the popup
What are three ways of upgrading vmware tools without the use of update manager?
- 1. select vm - open the console - seelct vm, guest and tinall/upgrade vmware tools
- 2. configure os to check for new version of vmware toosl
- 3. windows/linux vms - select "run vmware tools script - advanced section
Name three places you can configure the swap file location
- 1 Host - configuruation tab - swap file locaiton
- 2. VM - settings - options tab -swap file location (overrides host)
- 3. cluster - edit settings - swapfile location
Identify the available vCenter Server packages:
- vCenter Server Essentials – Integrated management for vSphere Essentials Kits
- vCenter Server Foundation – Centralized management for up to three vSphere hosts
- vCenter Server Standard – Highly scalable management with rapid provisioning, monitoring, orchestration and control of all virtual machines in a vSphere environment
If I wanted vCenter Server Linked Mode what vCenter Server edition would I need to purchase?
vCenter Server Standard
What features are included in all editions of vCenter Server?
- 1.Management service – Acts as universal hub for provisioning, monitoring and configuring virtualized environments
- 2. Database server – Stores persistent configuration data and performance information
- 3. Inventory service – Allows administrators to search the entire
- object inventory of multiple vCenter Servers from one place
- 4. vSphere Clients – Provides administrators with a feature-rich console for accessing one or more VMware vCenter Servers
- 5. vCenter APIs and .NET Extension – Allows integration between vCenter Server and other tools, with support for
- customized plug-ins to the vSphere Client
- 8. vCenter Single Sign-On – Simplifies administration by allowing users to log-in once and then access all instances or layers of vCenter without the need for further authentication
If I wanted vCenter Orchestrator what vCenter Server edition would I need to purchase?
vCenter Server Standard
What privaleges does the VM Power User role grant?
A set of privileges to allow the user to interact with and make hardware changes to virutal machines,as well as perform snapshot operations. Privileges granted include:
What privaleges does the Virtual MachineUser grant?
A set of privileges to allow the user to interact with a virtual machine’s console, insert media, andperform power operations. Does not grant privileges to make virtual hardware changes to the virtualmachine.
What privaleges does Resource Pool Administrator grant?
- A set of privileges to allow the user to create child resource pools and modify the configuration of the children, but not to modify the resource configuration of the pool or cluster on which the role was granted.
- Also allows the user to grant permissions to child resource pools, and assign virtualmachines to the parent or child resource pools.
What privaleges does the datastore consumer role grant?
A set of privileges to allow the suer to consume space on the datastores on which this role is granted.To perform a space-consuming operation, such as creating a virtual disk or taking a snapshot, theuse msut also have the appropriate virtual machine privileges granted for these operationsUsually granted on a datastore or a folder of datastores
What privaleges does the NetworkConsumer grant?
A set of privileges to allow the user to assign virtual machines or hosts to networks, if hteappropriate permissions for the assignment are alos granted on the virtual machines or hostsUsually granted on a network or folder of networksAvailable on vCenter Server