waste water ch.13
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Receiving water measurements are as important as the in plant measurements because the ultimate purpose of theplant is to protect the receiving waters
The operating procedures for effluent discharge to surface streams is similar to other treatment processes.
A water quality sampling program must be prepared in amanner that will produce accurate and useful results
Always plan ahead to get maximum benefit from a receivingwater sampling program
Effluent discharge, reclamation, and reuse involves significant maintenance considerations including pumps.
What are "performance evaluation" tests?
In-plant measurements that show the results of an individualunit process or the entire plant
What are "process control" tests?
In-plant measurements that assist the operator in decidinghow to operate a unit
What is the purpose of receiving water measurements?
To determine the effect of the waste discharge on the receiving waters and on the beneficial uses of the receiving waters
Under which condition might emergency effluent storage facilities be used?
When a roxie waste spill into the collection system occurs
What does an operational strategy consist of?
Doing everything possible to minimize the discharge of pollutants to the receiving waters
What must you understand in order to plan a water quality survey?
The reasons for, or the objectives of, the survey
Why should the plant effiuent be discharged below the surface of receiving waters at all times?
To prevent complaints about foaming and discoloration of the receiving waters
How can the diffusers in an outfall be prevented from clogging?
By maintaining a minimum outlet flow or velocity
Why are reclamation and reuse becoming popular in many areas?
- Due to stringent requirements for direct discharge
- Due to water shortages
Which water uses have water quality indicators that must be controlled for successful reuse?
- Contact recreation
- Fish propagation
- Water for livestock
- Water for wildlife
How can operators detect adverse impacts on receiving waters caused by the treatment plant effluent? By noticing
- Abnormal colors
- Visible floating substances
- Weather conditions
which items could be indicated when odors are noticed in receiving waters as a result of the discharge from a treatment plant effluent?
- A failure in a treatment process in the plant
- The discharge of an industrial waste into the collectionsystem
By which methods can a stored effluent containing toxic wastes be properly discharged?
- Allow the stored water to become concentrated by evaporation in the storage pond and then dispose of the toxic waste in an approved manner
- Return the stored water to the plant for treatment
- Slowly add the stored water to the treated effluent
- Treat the stored water chemically
When troubleshooting disinfected effluents, which indicators/observations could be signs of trouble?
- Unable to maintain a chlorine residual
- Unable to meet coliform requirements
What are the types of receiving water monitoring programs
- Effluent sampling
- Stream or water quality survey
Sudden changes in effluent constituent concentrations maybe due to which factors?
- Change in industrial waste discharges
- Change in influent characteristics
- Change in plant budget priorities
- Process failure
- Sudden increase in flow quantity
Every sample bottle must be identified and should have attached to it a label or tag indicating what information?
- Air and water temperatures
- Budget code
- Date and hour
- Exact location where the sample was collected
- Name of the collector
Which safety precautions should be exercised when collecting water samples?
- Select sampling "stations" where safe access is possible during all seasons of the year
- Use snap-on safety belts when leaning over bridge railings or stream banks
- Wear a Coast Guard-approved life jacket when sampling from a boat
- Wear a flagging vest (bright red/orange) to alert vehicular traffic of your presence
- When sampling on a bridge, be sure there is enoughroom for the person collecting the samples and traffic
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview