The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- What: Mild infection of the vagina
- What: May go away in a few days but it can lead to more serious problems
- Cause: Multiple sex partners, Lesbian, Smoke, Douche.
- Symptoms: smelly vaginal discharge, grayish white or yellow, "fishy" worse after sex.
- Half of women who have bacterial vaginosis have no symptoms.
Treatment of bacterial vaginosis
- they are pills, cream or capsules ( that you put in your vagina).
- S.E. of antibiotics yeast infection
- Treat a variety of infections bacteria and protozoa.
- Class: nitroimidazoles
Test to perform to test for bacterial vaginosis
How Do Men Know if they Have Trichomoniasis?
- Men have less symptoms and usually do not know they are infected until their partners need treatment.
- Irritation inside the penis
- Mild discharge
- Slight burning after urination or ejaculation
How Do Women Know if they Have Trichomoniasis?
- Many women do have signs or symptoms of infection.
- Symptoms in women can include:
- Greenish-yellow, frothy vaginal discharge with a strong odor
- Painful urination
- Vaginal itching and irritation
- Discomfort during intercourse
- Lower abdominal pain (rare)
- metronidazole (Flagyl)
- partner should also be treated
- avoid sex until they and their sex partners complete treatment and have no symptoms
Wet mount tests for:
- vaginal discharge is placed on a glass slide and mixed with a salt solution.
- under a microscope for bacteria, yeast cells, trichomoniasis
- white blood cells that show an infection, or clue cells that show bacterial vaginosis.
Cause and S/S of a Yeast Infection
- AKA: candida infection or candidiasis
- Cause: Candida albicans.
- Symptoms: Itching and a white, lumpy discharge (cottage cheese), pain with sex.
- Not a STD
- Yeast infections sign of diabetes, leukemia, or AIDS.
Test for yeast infection:
- KOH slide
- Specimen placed on a slide and mixed with potassium hydroxide (KOH),
- which kills bacteria and cells from the vagina, leaving only yeast for
- specific branching pattern will be seen through the microscope.
How to treat Yeast Infections:
- Over-the-counter medications:
- Miconazole (Monistat-Derm, Monistat Vaginal)
- Tioconazole (Vagistat Vaginal)
- Butoconazole (Femstat)
- Clotrimazole (Femizole-7,Gyne-Lotrimin)
- Massage these remedies into your vagina and surrounding tissues for 1-7 days