The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
made up of the skin itself, and the accessory structures like lair, fingernails, sensory receptors and glands.
Skin 3 layers
epidermis, dermis, subcutaneous
- outer layer composed of stratified squamous epithelium
- -lacks blood vessels
- thicker than epidermis
- -protects us from and controls temperature
- -provides blood supply to skin
- -made up of loose connective tissue, elastic fibers, epithelium, muscle, nerves and blood
- -contains neurons (sensory receptors).
- loose connective tissue in teh form of adipose tissue.
- - no sharp bundary between the dermis and subcutaneous
- -insulates from too much heat or too little, provudes blood supply to the skin, nerve sensory receptors
an extension of the stratified squamous epithelium
- an extension of stratified squamous epithelium
- -all over body besides hand and feet palms
- -erector pilli muscle
- usually found in close proximity to hair folicles
- -releases sebum which protects, moistens and keep skin soft.
- -secrete sweat which is mostly water
- -cools the skin
- -sweat has some waste products, salt, etc
cutaneous carcinomas and cutaneous melanomas
- most common, occur within people with prolonged exposure to lots of sunlight.
- -long term exposure- cells divide to replace sun burn damage, don't undergo apoptosis
normally people that have strong acute exposures to the sun are at risk, melanomas are typically more dangerous