Name comes from the sound of the music.
Dominated by the saxophone.
Drug use was heavy in the bebop crowd.
- Tremendous split between musicians and
- the public.
- Musicians tried to rise from
- entertainer to artist.
- Many compositions were written over the
- changes of other popular tunes.
- Preferred instrumentation was the small
- combo instead of big band.
- Less emphasis was placed on
- arrangements in bop.
Average tempo was faster in bop.
- Clarinet was rare in bop. Rhythm guitar
- was rare.
- Display of instrumental virtuosity was
Bop improvisation was more complex
Melodies were more complex in bop.
- Harmonies were more complex in bop
- (Much more chromatic)
Comping was more prevalent than stride style and simple, on-the-beat chording
Surprise was more highly valued in bop.
- Bop was a more agitated style than