The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What are the major themes in the evolution of nursing?
- Women's Role
- Societal Attitudes
When and where was the first school of nursing founded?
- 1836 in German
- Kaiserworth Deaconess Institute-affiliated with Lutheran churches
- Florence Nightingale attended
When and where was the first school of practical nursing founded(US)?
- Brooklyn, NY
- Ballard School for Practical Nursing
- 3 months long
- focused on home health for chronically ill, invalids, children, and elderly
- founder of modern nursing
- went to Kaiserworth Deaconess
- Nightingale Training School in London
- nursing a respectable vocation
- emphasized theory as well as clinical
What helped to solidify that nursing education should occur in institutions of higher learning?
- Goldmark Report of 1923
- Brown Report of 1948
Nursing Organizations Formed
National League for Nursing Education
How did WWI impact nursing?
- Smith Hughes Act-many nurses needed at home and on battlefronts
- Hospital Schools opened in many locations-provided staffing
How did WWII impact nursing?
- Peak # practical nurses-1940(many military)
- Shortage of practical nurses following war
- Army School of Nursing Established
practical nurse duties outlined by department of vocational education
- LPN title formulated
- duties formally differentiated from RN
- Founded American Red Cross
- America's 1st trained nurse
- introduced nurses notes, drs orders, and practice of wearing uniforms
- Frontier Nurse
- Organized Frontier Nursing Service of Kentucky
- Superintendent of Nurses Army Nurse Corp
- Civil War
1st African American Nurse
Founder of ADN Education, 1952
- founded public health nursing
- Henry St Settlement in NYC
- school nursing was an offspring of public health nursing
- Women's rights activist
- campaigned for nurses to control profession
- 1st president of (what is now)ANA
- helped form Nation League for Nursing
- Public Health Nurse
- women's right activist
- planned parenthood and birth control pioneer
1st nurse to hold professorship in a university