LET Day 9 Quiz
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
List the steps in order for stopping the train with the slack STRETCHED while using train brakes WITH power. (3 Steps)
1. Advance throttle, if necessary, to adjust slack.
2. Observe locomotive output when making the initial BRAKE PIPE reduction.
3. Make additional BRAKE PIPE reductions as necessary.
State the 4 steps to stop a train while slack is BUNCHED.
1. Reduce throttle to IDLE, allow slack to bunch gradually.
2. Apply DYNAMIC BRAKE (or Independent Brake if Dynamic is unavailable) to complete bunching of slack.
3. Increase DYNAMIC BRAKING output to desired level.
4. Use TRAIN BRAKE if necessary, to complete the stop. (if Speed is Below 10 MPH: use a continuous service -- Above 10 MPH: use a split service application).
TRUE or FALSE:
While stopped, maintain a BRAKE PIPE reduction of at least 10 PSI, but not more than FULL SERVICE, until the train is required to move.
When leaving the train unattended, in what state should the TRAIN BRAKES be left in?
FULL SERVICE application.
When assigned to a Work Train, Transfer Train, Yard Assignment, or Helper Service and your train will be delayed for 30 minutes in 75 degree temperature; what should be done with the locomotive?
All locomotives in the consist should be SHUT DOWN or ISOLATED.
All crew members are equally responsible for the care of the locomotives being used. List 7 examples of what the crew must adhere to.
1. Do not place feet on any wall, window or piece of equipment.
2. Do not write on, mar or deface any window, wall or piece of equipment.
3. Do not damage operating cab equipment.
4. Deposit trash in litter bags.
5. Keep tools in their proper location.
6. Make certain all doors and windows are closed.
7. Make certain the cab lights are turned off on trailing locomotives when not in use.
Make certain that the locomotive wheels turn freely anytime excessive tripping of the ground protective relay causes either of what 2 things?
1. Locomotive to be isolated.
2. Traction motor to be cut out.
What 3 steps should be taken when a traction motor support bearing is suspected of being hot?
1. Stop the movement.
2. Report the bearing to the train dispatcher and the mechanical desk.
3. Comply with the instructions you receive.
Prior to cutting away from and leaving cars, the engineer should make which type of BRAKE PIPE reduction?
A FULL SERVICE reduction.
When starting a train you should avoid excessive tractive effort, keep locomotive speeds steady and do not exceed 2 MPH until the entire train is moving and allow ____?
Sufficient time for the train air brakes to release.
TRUE or FALSE:
You should handle the train in a safe and fuel-efficient manner; take full advantage of throttle adjustments and dynamic braking when conditions permit.
When transitioning from POWER to DYNAMIC BRAKE, how long must you remain in the IDLE position before moving into DYNAMIC BRAKING?
State the procedure for stopping your train while the slack is BUNCHED using train brakes WITHOUT power. (2 Steps)
1. Reduce throttle to IDLE and allow slack to adjust gradually.
2. f necessary, use the DYNAMIC BRAKE (or the Independent Brake if the Dynamic Brake is unavailable) to adjust slack prior to making an initial BRAKE PIPE reduction.
What 3 things are required before releasing the train brakes after desired braking has been accomplished? (Running Release)
1. BRAKE PIPE air is not exhausting.
2. You have made at least a 10 PSI BRAKE PIPE reduction.
3. Brakes on the entire train will be released before the train is reduced to 10 MPH.
If operating conditions permit, make a BRAKE PIPE reduction of ____ and make certain the exhaust has stopped for at least ____ before releasing the train brakes. (Standing Release)
What are the 3 most important factors that affect stopping a train?
2. Weight of train.
3. Severity of grade.
What are the 4 steps in order to stop while the slack is STRETCHED?
1. Advance Throttle, if necessary, to stretch slack.
2. Make initial reduction and actuate.
3. As speed decreases, make additional BRAKE PIPE reduction as necessary and actuate and gradually reduce throttle to prevent developing excessive locomotive output.
4. As the movement stops, make sure air is exhausting from BRAKE PIPE, place Independent Brake to FULL APPLICATION and place throttle to IDLE.
If the train's momentum prevents stopping short of a submerged area, what 3 things should be done before reaching water?
1. REVERSER to center.
2. GENERATOR FIELD Switch to OFF.
3. THROTTLE to position 8.
When operating in territories where both DYNAMIC BRAKING and pressure maintaining are required in lieu of retainer valves being set, and the train speed is between 20 & 35 MPH, what must be done?
Apply train air brakes with at least MINIMUM REDUCTION (6-8 PSI) in conjunction with DYNAMIC BRAKING.
If your train must be stopped on a grade for any reason using an 18 pound or greater BRAKE PIPE reduction, what must be done before proceeding?
The train must be secured and the air system recharged.
While operating on a grade the DYNAMIC BRAKE fails while in use, what 2 steps must be taken to prevent harsh slack action?
1. Apply Independent Brake immediately to avoid rapid run-out slack.
2. If necessary, make a BRAKE PIPE reduction sufficient to control speed and compensate for loss of DYNAMIC BRAKE force.
When must fuel levels be reported to the Mechanical Desk?
When they are below 1000 gallons.
If you are in doubt that the train speed is being slowed, stopped or controlled properly while using DYNAMIC BRAKING, what action should be taken?
Supplement DYNAMIC BRAKING with TRAIN BRAKES.
When it becomes apparent that the speed of the train cannot be maintained at or below maximum speed while descending a grade, what action should be taken?
The train must be stopped immediately with the train brakes using emergency if necessary.
TRUE or FALSE:
When an undesired emergency application occurs, or when an emergency situation arises and becomes necessary to place the train air brakes in emergency, operate the 2-Way EOT emergency toggle switch as soon as possible.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview