LIQUID OXYGEN CRYOTAINERS
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- pale blue in color, slightly heavier than water and has a boiling point of -297 degrees F.
+ expansion ratio from liquid to gas is 1 to 860.
+ 1 cubic foot of LOX, when converted to gas, will supply 860 cubic feet of 100% gaseous oxygen at 70 degrees F.
Characteristics of Liquid Oxygen (LOX)
Sparks, static electricity, or shock may ignite combustion in LOX.
Normal Position of Main Vent Valve -
+ 25 feet from any structure having fire resistant or non-combustible extreme wall or automatic extinguishing systems.
+ 50 feet from any combustible structure or source of ignition
+ 75 feet from aircraft parking areas, fueling, refueling areas.
Safety Distances for storing LOX:
***Do NOT put liquid oxygen in a sealed container without a vent or relief valve or an explosion may occur.
+ MAY EXPLODE - Lox will change to a gas by ambient temperature. ***
***Do NOT touch lines that contain liquid oxygen, severe frostbite will occur if it touches your skin.
Do NOT step on the droplets may cause an explosion. Let it evaporate, it will quickly boil away, (turn into gas).***
LOX cart are painted ____ w/ the works “ Liquid Oxygen” painted on them for clear identification.
***- Lox will make any fire burn faster & more violently.
- LOX by itself will not burn.
+ Must be grounded to the same earth ground from the cryocontainer, to the ACFT.***
- will be worn by all personnel within a 20 degree radius while servicing a LOX system or handling items w/ LOX in them)
- Heading Covering (ABU CAP)
- Face Shield
- Neoprene Apron (rubber)
- Non-absorbant gauntlet gloves
- Leather high top boots (rubber soles w/o nails)
- Long sleeve shirt, jacket, white cotton cover nails, or sleeves.
- Place pant legs over boots.
- Keep oil & grease away
+ Don't hand oxygen equipment w/ greasy hands.
- Don’t let equipment get contaminated w/ oil, grease, fuel, dirt etc.
+ Purge oxygen system to prevent contamination of the system. This is done IAW w/ the applicable TO.
+ Tool Boxes will be marked LOX USE ONLY.
Oxygen Equipment Maintenance
2 Tanks ( Inner & Outer )
- Inner Tank holds liquid
- Outer tank protects & aids the insulation of inner tank.
- The space between the 2 tanks is annular space.
3 Forms of Heat Transfer:
Normal Pos: OPEN
Closed: Servicing Aircraft (TTB)
- used to vent to of cryotainer to the atmosphere.
Main Vent Valve:
+ controls the flow of LOX going to the build-up coil.
OPEN: Build up pressure or maintain pressure (service)
Pressure Build Up:
OPEN ( used when filling or draining the tank (locks cart)
Fill Line Shutoff Valve
OPEN: When servicing aircraft. - to allow the liquid to flow from the cryotainer to the item being serviced.
Service Line Shutoff Valve
: held in place by the vacuum of the annular space.
- protects outer tank from excessive pressure.
- will blow if inner tank develops a leak.
- Diff. pressure setting depends on malfunction.
- Use T.O.
Vacuum Space Safety Device
- indicates the level of LOX in the inner tank in gallons
- this gauge gives a direct reading due to the float inside the inner tank.
Liquid Level Indicator
- Tells how much head pressure (PSI) is built up in the inner tank.
- Relieves excess pressure Inner Tank.
- Operated Automatically. & can be controlled manually.
Vent Line Relief Valve
+ Backs up vent line relief valve.
+ Blows @ a higher pressure setting then a vent line relief valve.
- relieves excess pressure trapped in the fill line after refilling or draining the cart.
+ operated manually or automatically.
Fill Line Drain Relief Valve
- will relive excessive pressure that has built up in the service line hose.
+ operated manually or automatically.
Service Line Drain & Relief Valve
- consists of a small hose encased within a larger hose.
+ flexible & made of stainless steel & iron alloy (poor conductors)
+ Transfers liquid from inner tank to aircraft converter.
Service Line Hose
Removes Dirt & Moisture from Lox that could freeze & clog tubing. ( Filtered Twice.)
+ one located in the fill line * other is in btwn service line SOV * service hose.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview