The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- is the main part of a liquid oxy. sys.
+ multi-function unit made to receive & store the liquid.
+ designed to provide gaseous oxygen to user.
- is the largest part of the converter assembly.
+ double walled vacuum insulated unit that consists of an inner & outer shell separated by rubber grommets.
- liquid is stored in the inner shell and a vacuum separates it from the outer shell.
- is necessary to keep the oxygen in a liquid state.
vacuum will prevent heat transfer, by means of convection, from taking place.
this will prevent the liquid from boiling off into a gas.
+ rupture dis is mounted on the outer shell of converter.
- acts like a safety device
+ if inner shell develops a leak the rupture disc would flow to relieve the built-up pressure.
- pressure setting of rupture disc will vary, depending on the size of the converter.
+ Always check the applicable T.O. for the correct setting.
- inner shell leaks
+ Blows to relief Annual Pressure.
: Spring Loaded Closed Valve
+ prevents the reverse flow of lox from the bottom of converter.
Ball Check Valve
- combination fill, build-up & vent valve
- a dual function valve.
- fill portion of the combination valve has coupling for the filler nozzle of a LOX servicing cart to connect to.
- Two POS: of the combo valve are build-up and vent.
- valve is normally in the build-up position.
- build-up port is connected to the pressure closing valve.
- used to change the liquid oxygen into a gas for the purpose supplying head pressure.
+ located on the container assembly.
+ Gas used to force the liquid
- PAIRED W/ PRESSURE CLOSING VALVE
Build- Up Coil
- main purpose is to maintain constant gas (head) pressure on top of the inner shell of the converter.
- by maintaining head pressure: 400 PSI; it acts as the pressure reg. for the liquid oxy sys.
+ bellows in it senses gas (head) pressure & will open or close depending on head pressure.
- PAIRED W/ BUILD UP COIL
Pressure Closing Valve
- will relieve excessive pressure form the converter.
+ Supply Line Backs IT up.
Converter Relief Valve
- used on some converters for fast removal & replacement of the converter.
+ disconnects provides a method of disconnecting the converter from the aircraft, & reinstalling it in minutes.
+ spring-loaded check valve to prevent the loss of oxygen.
- not installed on Aircraft.
Vent Line & Supply Line Q/Ds
- relives excessive pressure in the aircraft mounted supply line and warm up coils (warm up plate).
+ also relieve excessive pressure if the converter relief valve fails when the converter is installed on the acft.
Supply Line Relief Valve
- purpose is to raise the temps of the gaseous oxy. to where it is suitable for breathing.
+ coil is usually found in cockpit or electronics compartment.
- as oxygen passes: it absorbs heat from the surrounding air.
+ raising temperature of the gaseous oxygen before it does to the oxygen regulators.
- a pressure-sensing, bellows-operated switch.
+ is connected to the gasesous oxygen supply tube between the warm up coil & oxygen regulator.
- if pressure becomes too low: the contacts close completing a circuit and turning on the oxygen low light located in the cockpit.
Oxygen Low Pressure SW
- 2 Types: Pressure Demand & Continuous Flow Type Regulators.
Regulators flow to oxygen to the user
- it delivers oxygen to your lungs in response to the suction of your own breath, that is, on demand.
+ supplies to one crew member only.
- diaphragm operated valve. (demand valve)
+ closes when you exhale.
Pressure Demand Regulator
- purpose of this regulator is to deliver a continuous flow of oxygen to the users mask, at a rate of flow.
+ manually controlled .
Hand Adjustable Types [Continuous Flow Regulators]
- are used in the aircraft that transport personnel, such as passengers, troops, or litter patients.
+ supplies continuous flow of oxygen automatically regulated by an aneroid for increasing oxygen flow w/ increasing altitudes.
- no manual controls or flow indicator.
- at least two regs are used for any type of installation.
Automatic Type [Continuous Flow Regulators]
- uses a variable capacitance probe that is looted in the inner shell of the converter.
- insulating material separating two conducting plates is DIELECTRIC.
- Measures the liquid level in the inner shell
- its a SIGNAL - as liquid level changes
Variable Capacitance Probe
- receives the signal from the probe and turns it into a liquid level indication.
- calibrated in liters.
- also will turn on a warning “ OXY LOW” when the LOX supply is at 10% of the converter capacity.
+ located in cockpit/flight deck.
- signal passes mean or a shielded electrical lead & coati cable
- located on the TEST panel in the cockpit is a single-pole double-throw SW that provides a self-test of the oxygen indicating and warning system.
+ CCW 10% converters holds oxygen low LIGHT will come ON.
+ Pressure reg gauge, indicates sys pressure.
Low Quality (TEST) SW