MO: List the 5 classes of lipid & water soluble hormones and identify components of each.
- LIPID SOLUBLE:
- 1) Steroid Hormones (derived from cholesterol; include cortisol, testosterone, DHEA, pregnenolone, sex hormones)
2) Thyroid Hormones (iodine atoms + tyrosine; include T4 & T3)
- WATER SOLUBLE:
- 3) Amines (modified amino acids; include adrenaline, noradrenaline, histamine)
4) Peptides & Proteins (chains of amino acids; include HGH, insulin, glucagon, serotonin, CCK, gastrin, oxytocin, anti-diuretic hormone)
5) Eicosanoids/Prostaglandins (derived from fatty acids; include PG1, PG2, PG3)