Monitor for signs of respiratory distress
Monitor for hyperpnea with Kussmauls respirations. Respirations are increased as the lungs attempt to rid the body of excess CO2.
Monitor I&O--Provide fluid and electrolyte replacement as prescribed.
Prepare to administer meds (buffers
) as prescribed: sodium bicarbonate
Initiate safety measures and seizure precautions
- Monitor labs for increased potassium level:
- --Normal functioning Kidneys retain potassium when trying to rid body of H ions
Note: As metabolic acidosis resolves, potassium moves back into the cells and serum potassium level decreases. (When excess H ions are present they are pushed into cells, H ions are pushed out)
- Monitor labs for increase in calcium level
- Monitor for decrease in magnesium level
- If patient has severe diarrhea, monitor S/S of Metabolic acidosis.