The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- author "me"
- tags "poop"
- description ""
- fileName "Anthropology Unit 2 Test"
- freezingBlueDBID -1.0
- Images of Men and Women in the Media: 10 Female Messages
- 1. What really counts in getting ahead are good looks and personality, not brains.
- 2. Real beauty comes from the products we buy.
- 3. School is boring and a waste of time.
- 4. Women can always rely on men for financial support.
- 5. Boys will be boys and that's the way women like them.
- 6. Feminism is irrelevant and young women shouldn't take it too seriously.
- 7. When it comes to men, other women can't be trusted.
- 8. Males need more freedom than females.
- 9. Women should accept the fact that men sometimes need to use force to get their way.
- 10. A woman's beauty and value decrease when she gets old.
Images of Men and Women in the Media: 10 Male Messages
- 1. "Real" men don't show their emotions.
- 2. "Real" men are assertive and don't waste time discussing problems.
- 3. Competition is natural to men.
- 4. To get ahead in life, you have to depend on your brains and initiative.
- 5. Males find power, violence, and war exciting.
- 6. Females are fun, but don't get attached. They threaten a man's freedom.
- 7. Men are inquiring, scientific, and adventurous.
- 8. Heroes overcome all obstacles.
- 9. When females say "no", they don't mean it.
- 10. The man's the boss.
Nora to Ned: What are three realizations Nora had about men?
- They are very welcoming to other men
- Intimacy lacking between men
- Men suffer just as much as women do
Nora to Ned: How do men show affection for each other
Nora to Ned: Differences in sexuality b/w men and women
- Men - its more physical bc mote testosterone
- Women - its mental
The Brain Game: Differences between men and women brain
Men have no interaction b/w two sides of brain .: more spatial, tunnel vision, motor skills
Women have interaction b/w two sides of brain .: multitasking, better senses, more verbal
The Brain Game: 5 key qualities of men
- 10x more testosterone than women .: think about sex more often
- Brains are immature until 20 years old
- Big risk takers
- Strong and big
The Brain Game: 5 key qualities of women
- More estrogen .: feel more long-term, romantic love
- Very verbal and good memory
- Selective in romantic partners
- Better at identifying emotions in others
What is a gender cue relating to toys, specific to each gender?
- Boys = trucks
- Girls = dolls
According to the modern fairytale Sleeping Ugly, what is the secret to happiness?
To be caring and loving
What prominent message does Sleeping Ugly portray?
Being beautiful on the inside is more important than physical beauty.
9 Inappropriate Messages Within Traditional Fairytales
- 1. Female characters always saved by male characters
- 2. Characters mostly white
- 3. Good characters are pretty
- 4. Bad characters are ugly
- 5. Happiness = being wealthy
- 6. Happiness = finding your prince
- 7. Always have happy endings
- 8. Parents not present
- 9. Backdrop is usually a wealthy kingdom with royals
What are five of the messages in magazines targeted at females?
- You must have perf skin
- You must have great hair
- You must wear makeup
- You must be skinny
- You must be healthy
What are five of the messages in magazines targeted at males?
- You must be athletic or like sports
- You must drive fast cars
- You must be tall and muscular and lean
- You must like alcohol
- You must love to eat
What is the main cause of self esteem drops in adolescence?
The struggle b/w the image a girl has of herself and the image of what society tells her a woman should be like.
What three ideas does Seventeen magazine enforce?
- A woman should be more concerned with:
- -her appearance
- -her relations w others
- -her ability to win approval from men
What are the six gender cues?
- Treatment by others
- Physique and appearance
What is socialization?
The process of learning the basic skills, values, beliefs, and behaviours expected by society.
What are the five agents of socialization?
Family - teach u how to love, morals and values, and responsibilites
Peers - teach u what's acceptable and what's not, how to act, peer pressure
School - teach u rules, career path, and knowledge
Media - influences ur views on music, fashion, romance, violence, and appearance
Church and Religion - teach u rules to live by, views of da afterlife, and the meaning of life
We are the way we are bc of our genetics
We are the way we are bc of our environment
Who are Jack and Oscar
Identical twins raised in totally different environments (Catholic in Germany and Jew in Trinidad)
What are the similarities b/w Jack and Oscar other than appearance
- Both had mustaches
- Both wore wire-rimmed glasses
- Both had short tempers
- Both liked pranks (esp pretending they were about to sneeze in a crowded elevator)
Who is Pascal?
A "wild child" or feral child who had been raised by wolves in the forest
What was Pascal like after they found him (4)
- Had trouble standing
- Could not walk or talk
- Had sharp canine teeth
- Behaved like a wolf even after being in human compant for five years
Who was the Brazilian man
Gilson Cicero da Silva is a 33 y o man whose father locked him up in a cage for 25 years when he was 8 bc he thought his son was mentally ill.
What was Gilson like when cops found him (3)
- Could not walk or talk
- Behaved like an animal
What is an isolate
A person who's been isolated from the world for a very long time; like a feral child.
Describe the U of Minnesota experiment (3)
- In 1979
- More than 350 pairs of twins tested for a week
- To determine the importance of heredity vs environment in human development
Why were twins used in u of m exp
Bc their genetics are 99% the same
Results of the U of M experiment?
- More than 50% of traits measured found to be due to heredity
- Findings strongly support nature
"The family still shapes the broad suggestion of personality offered by heredity" what this mean
Fam has big influence and can either enhance or lessen ur genetic traits
Why is it important to.compare twins raised together ans twins raised.apart
In order to compare their similarities and differences to determine how much of it is hereditary and how much of it is environmental.
What conclusions were drawn b/w twins raised together and those raised apart
Both groups were found to be still similar, sharing the same personality traits
What 8 traits were found to be strongly determined by heredity?
- Obedience to authority
- Zest for life
Other than genetics,what causes TB (2)
- Peoples environment and social class
What are 2 incidents where genetics has been used as an excuse to mistreat ppl
- The Nazi holocaust bc Jews Aryan race etc.
- Singapore bc prime minister created bad program
What percent do genes account for when it comes to the ability to recognize pitch?
What 2 factors came into play when converting ability into greatness in music?
- Dedication to mastering.an instrument
How many twins in music.experiment
How many twins in humour.experiment
In humour experiment, what is suggested?
Shared environment rather than genetics contributes to cartoon appreciation.
Harlow's Monkey Study: what is it and what was the objective
He seperated baby monkeys from their mothers and placed with two surrogate mothers made of wire with a feeding apparatus and of cloth with no feeding apparatus.
Objective was to see which of the mothers the monkeys would stay with the longest.
Harlow's Monkey Study: what were the results
Babies preferred the cloth mother and stayed with it for up to 23 hours a day, only went to wire mother when it was hungry.
Harlow's Monkey Study: what strange behaviors happened to the babies when they grew older
- -moved in circles
- -stared vavantly and rocked back and forth
- -didn't know proper mating behaviour of monkeys
- -females who became mothers were either indifferent or abusive to their young ones
Harlow's Monkey Study: second generation monkeys...
Never stopped trying to be close to their mothers
Societal Expectations for Males (8)
- Not show emotion
- Show more aggression
- Not walk away from a fight
- Have nice body
- Being the hero
- Expected to be a leader
- Expected to date younger women
- Be gentlemen
Societal ExpectAtions of Females (8)
- Fragile vulnerable
- Do chores
- Married w children
- Marry rich
- Family oriented
- Passive aggressive
How is the power of men displayed in the media? (4)
- 1. Makes usually portrayed to be looking at the female, making her his object
- 2. Man-handling of females
- 3. Males w multiple women
- 4. Males shown as being disinterested
Footloose and Gender Free: Who is Storm
Footloose and Gender Free: What arguments have critics made (2)
- -parents imposing their views on a newborn
- -children would be ridiculed
Footloose and Gender Free: what do storms parents believe about children and which theorist agrees w this
Believe kids can make meaningful decisions for themselves from an early age and Piaget agreed
Why is gender limiting
Bc it tells us what we can and can't do or how to behave based on our gender. Also ppl think that sex determines gender. Just cuz I have a vagina doesnt mean that I feel like I'm a girl. It's all between the ears.