MUSED Quiz 1: People
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
solfege, staff, pitches, sight-singing
- one of the first educators to promote music in schools
- founder of Boston academy of music
- taught music to kids using pestalozzi (thought it was better than the singing school approach)
john tufts (1689-)
- preached sermons that said musical literacy was important
- wrote 1st am textbook to solve issue of musical literacy
- encouraged note-for-note singing as the only acceptable way of praising God
- helped simplify notation reading for non-musicians
- his work led to the singing school
cotton mather (1663-1728)
- singing reform
- religion and music closely related
henry ainsworth (1571-)
published the book of psalms (later reworked into bay psalm book)
Reverend Thomas Symmes (1677-1725)
- new way!
- writings to support it. it grew quickly
- founder of the first am singing school in 1717
Elam Ives Jr.
- first to apply pestalozzian principles to music ed in US
- influenced the ideas of thomas hastings and Mason
william Billings (1746-1800)
- chester, composer
- warned against unnecessary convo
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview