Asbestos Supervisor Initial
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
A duct which transports combustion gases from a boiler or heater to chimney/stack. Also called a flue.
A coating applied to the surface of ACM that acts as barrier sealing asb fibers from env.
Cat I Non-friable ACM
- ACM packings, gaskets, resilient floor covering, & asphalt roofing products containing > 1% asb.
- Defined by USEPA NESHAP regulation.
Category II Non-friable ACM
- Any ACM not Cat I...
- Ex. asb cement products
- Only asb-form mineral of the serpentine group.
- Most common form used.
- White asb
Located in clusters around the respiratory bronchioles of the lungs - where true respiration occurs.
Tiny hair-like structures in windpipe & bronchi, which beat upward to force out particles, fibers, & liquids up & out of lungs.
Form of ins which a claim is allowed only if ins is in effect when claim is made; when injury or effect is observed.
Form of ins which a claim is allowed regardless of when claim is filed. Occurrence could be the time of first exposure.
Class I Asb work
- Removal of surfacing or TSI ACM/PACM.
- Defined by OSHA Asb Construction Standard
Class II Asb work
- Removal of ACM/PACM that's not surfacing or TSI.
- OSHA Construction Standard
Class III Asb Work
- Repair & maintnc activities involving disturbance of ACM/PACM - up to 1 glovebag/disposal bag
- OSHA Construction Standard
Class IV Asb work
- Housekeeping/custodial activities where ACM/PACM may be contacted/disturbed.
- OSHA Construction Standard
Any other type of activity covered under the OSHA Contruction Standard's scope
- OSHA - one capable of:
- identifying existing asb hazards in workplace and selecting appropriate control strategy for asb exposure
- has authority to take prompt corrective measures to eliminate hazard
One or > layers of plastic sealed at openings to work area, or other physical barrier sufficient to prevent airborne asb from migrating to adj area
- Amphibole group
- Strongest of asb minerals
- Minor commercial use
- Blue asb
- Enclosed area adj & connected to the regulated area
- For Class I activities will consist of: equipment room, shower area, & clean room
Wrecking/taking out any load-barring structural member
Use of an agent to seal the surface or penetrate the bulk of ACM.
A resilient structure built or sprayed around ACM designed to prevent disturbance & contain released fibers.
Excursion Limit (EL)
- A level of airborne fibers specified by OSHA as a short term excursion level.
- Current EL = 1.0 f/cc of air, over a 30-min time-weighted ave (measured w phase contrast microscopy)
Fibers per cubic centimeters of air
General Liability Insurance
Covers the insured for damage to property & person caused by insured's negligence.
Interpretation & evaluation of physical assessment data in order to set abatement priorities & rankings are based on anticipated exposure to asbestos fibers.
High Efficiency Particulate Air
Retains 99.97% particles 0.3 micrometers in diameter.
Local Education Agency - Authority responsible for complying w AHERA
- Building materials that are not TSI or surfacing materials (ie. floor/ceiling tiles)
- AHERA defined
- Permissible Exposure Limit
- OSHA defined occupational exposure standard
Negative Exposure Assessment - data demonstrated by employer verifying employee exposure is below PELs as defined by OSHA
Negative Pressure Respirators
Respirator functions by user breathing in air through a filter.
National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants - EPA regulation 40 CFR subpart M, Part 61
National Institute for Occupational Safety & Health - est 1970
Operations & Maintenance Plan (O&M)
Specific procedures & practices developed for the interim control of ACMs in buildings until removed.
- Occupational Safety & Health Administration - est from Occupational Safety & Health Act of 1970
- Enforcement of health in workplace environment
OSHA Asb PEL
- Level of airborne fibers spedified by OSHA as occupational standard for asb.
- Current asb PEL = 0.1 f/cc air per 8 hr time-weighted average (meas phase contrast micro)
Phase Contrast Microscopy (PCM)
Optical microscopic technique used for the counting of fibers in air samples, but does not distinguish fiber types.
- Horizontal space designed to transport air thru bldg.
- Commonly the space btwn dropped ceiling & floor above.
Thin membrane surrounding the lungs, which lines the internal surface of the chest cavity.
Uses polarized light microscope - stage & cross hair reticle used to count only particles directly under the cross
Polarized Light Microscopy (PLM)
Optical microscopy technique to analyzed asb bulk samples, illuminated w polarized light to distinguish btwn diff types asb fibers by shape & unique optical properties.
Positive Pressure Respirators
Function by providing pressured air to the user.
Protection Factor (PF)
- Reflects degree of protection provided by respirator
- Calculated by: outside containment concentration/inside mask conc
Presumed ACM - asb-containing thermal system insulation & surf materials found in a bldg constructed no later than 1980 (OSHA reg).
Qualitative Fit Test
Method to test respirator seal by covering the inhalation/exhalation valves while lightly breathing in or out to determine presence of leaks. AKA - User Seal Check
Quantitative Fit Testing
Method to test respirator seal by calculating conc of contaminants inside vs. outside mask.
- 1. Friable
- 2. Cat I non-fri that has become friable
- 3. Cat I that will be or has been subjected to grinding/cutting.... demo/renov
- 4. Cat II non-fri that has high prob of becoming friable via renov/demo
- USEPA NESHAP reg subpart 61.141 of 40 CFR Part 61
Combo of effects which is greater than the sum of two independent effects
A legal wrong due to negligence
Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM)
- Method of microscopy that uses electron beam focused onto then sample; beam penetrates (transmits) through the sample; diff in densities makes image on fluorescent screen where fibers can be counted.
- Air sample analysis
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview