NUR1010 for test one organizations
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
What is NLN
National League for NUrsing
what is full spectrum nursing
nurses use their minds and their hands to improve clients comfort and condition
the angel of mercy
- angelic creature/ angel-nurse
- history demonstrates strong link between nursing and religious orders
- priests treated the ill with physical care, prayer and magic spells (Egypt, Rome, Greece)
- in ancient India nurses were men
- knowledge, wisdom,purity, devotin to patient
when and where was the oldest christian hospital founded
- in france in 542 B.C.E
- Hotel dieu in Lyon
nurses affiliated with religious orders around what time in the US
from the beginning until well after the Civil war
what happened around the 15th to 19th century ?
- Influence of Christianity began to wane
- medieval to modern civilization,
- art, music, literature sxciencd
15-19th century regarding medicine
- move from monasteries to universities
- with fast growing knowledge
religious influence starting 19th century
- religious groups reemerged as influential in society and nursing
- university of notre dame
- seventh day Adventist hospital system
- American Baptist nursing home system
the nurse as a handmaiden
- male physician in the dominant role, with the nurse waiting for orders (duties, bathing,feeding,supporting, keeping environment clean...)
- now: planning and providing care: nurse and doctor as a team
nurses do duties nowadays that only physicians were allowed to do as recent as 60 years ago like
reading BP with stethoscope, doing an IV, ...
- came from upper class family
- saw nurses as colleagues of physicians
- hospitals were for the poor, the rich had private help for the sick at home
- she studied nursing in Germany
- lady of the lamp
- lobbied for importance of nursing with physicians and politicians (when she was back in England)
major contributions of nightingale
- establishing nursing as a distinct profession
- introduction of a broad based liberal education for nurses
- major reform in delivery of care in hospitals
- introduction of standards to control spread pf infection
- major reforms in healthcare for the military
- one flew over the cuckoo's nest
- bad nurse, torturer, cruel, harsh, corrupt, intoxicated
- 14-16th century renaissance, religious influence faded, criminals as nurses is hospitals
- -> lots of patients died because of bad care
- some treatments that nurses give are painful like injections, cleaning wounds, ...-> street clothes and colorful uniforms to avoid anxiety of patients
the naughty nurse
- early 20th century: sexy, mindless women, TV shows, romance novels...
- very near patient contact undressing of patient's body
Full spectrum nurse
- Clinical judgment: observing, comparing, contrasting, evaluating
- critical thinking: reflective thinking including collecting information, analyzing adequacy and accuracy of information
- Problem solving: find satisfactory solution, the nursing process is one type of problem solving process
what is nursing?
International council of nurses
The unique function of the nurse is to assist the individual, sick or well, in the performance of those activities contributing to health or its recovery (or to peaceful death) that her would perform unaided if he had the necessary strength, will or knowledge (Henderson, 1966)
What is nursing ?
Modified by ICN
- Nursing encompasses autonomous and collaborative care of ... all ages... sick or well... in all settings.
- N. includes
- promotion of health
- Prevention of illness
- Care of ill, disabled or dying
- Promotion of a safe environment
- participation is shaping health policy, management, education
What is nursing?
- American Nurse Association
- The diagnosis and treatment of human responses to actual and potential health problems.
- Caring relationship
- Holistic approach (human response within social and physical environment)
- Integration objective data with knowledge + patients subjective experience
- Application of Scientific knowledge through judgment and critical thinking
why is a definition for nursing important?
- helps the public understand the value of nursing
- describes activities and roles that belong to nursing vs. other health professions
- helps students and nurses understand what is expected of them
nursing as a profession
- knowledge must be based on technical and scientific knowledge
- knowledge and competence must be evaluated by a community of peers
- must have service orientation and a code of ethics
nursing as a discipline
profession with theoretical (questions that arise from clinical practice-> research) and practical (current state of knowledge and done research in this field) boundaries,
nursing as a occupation or job
most nurses are hourly wage earners. the employer decides regarding nature and condition of the work
What helps improve the status of nursing?
- standardizing educational requirements for entry into practice
- uniform continuing education requirements
- participation of more nurses in professional organizations
- educating the public about the true nature of nursing
What are the stages of Benner's model, please describe
- 1. Novice: onset of education, receptive to education and learning the rules of the profession
- 2. Advanced Beginner: after considerable exposure to clinical situations-> improvement in performance, repeated experience and mentoring -> begin to recognize elements of a situation-> use of more facts and more sophisticated with use of rules (e.g. a new graduate)
- competence-> after a few years of practice-> gained experience and more complex concerns-> although managing clinical care with mastery, they do not fully grasp the overall scope...
What are 5 methods to investigate people, location, and social systems of a community as they relate to health:
- 1 windshield survey
- 2 informant interviews
- 3 participant information
- 4 analysis of existing data
- 5 constructed survey
What have all these assessments for family, individual, or community in common?
- They shall also mention and look for both:
- The needs, but also the assets !
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview