The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Big Ideas for the Immune System
1. Always address the Foundations first…Healthy digestion is key to healthy immunity.
2. To improve immune function, strengthen the defenses and remove the stressors.
- 3. To resolve food intolerances, address the
- true allergies along with sensitivities.
What are the three lines of defense of the immune system?
- 1. Nonspecific Resistance/Barriers
- Meant to stop the entrance of invaders.
- 2. Nonspecific or “Innate” Immunity
- White blood cells and other biochemical substances that provide a rapid response to a wide range of invaders. This is your surveillance team.
- 3. Specific or “Adaptive/Acquired” Immunity
- White blood cells that mount an attack to target specific invaders that escaped the nonspecific defenses.
All three work in a very coordinated way!
What are two types of responses involved in Adaptive/Acquired Immunity?
Characteristics of Bacteria
- Completely independent.
- Able to eat and reproduce.
- Multiply quickly: One bacteria cell divides into two every 15 minutes, subdivides into millions in 4 hours (this is helped when client takes symptom-suppressing drugs that reduce mucous & inflammation).
Characteristics of Viruses.
- 1/1000 the size of a bacterial cell.
- Not alive.
- A fragment of DNA that attaches to the cell wall and injects DNA into cell, then uses machinery inside cell to reproduce new virus particles. When the hijacked cell dies, it bursts and releases population of virus particles into the environment.
Characteristics of Parasites
- Include protozoa like Histolytica, Giardia and Malaria, Blastocystis Homina
- Include worms like Pinworm and Tapeworm
- Parasitic infections frequently determined by hypochloridia
Characteristics of Fungi
- Plant-like organisms
- Many fungi are useful (edible mushrooms)
- Some cause problems (Candida)
- There are over 100,000 species of fungi, such as yeast and molds
Examples of Mechanical Barriers
- Intact Skin - consists of Keratin; health determined by how well we digest proteins, by mineral balance, EFA balance & hydration.
- Mucus Membranes - Line body cavities, open to the exterior