The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- author "KoollyT
- fileName "PIERCE SERVICE AERIAL LADDER"
- tags "2014 egnineer exam"
- folders ""
- description "PIERCE SERVICE AERIAL LADDER"
- This trainee has satisfactorily completed a (__) hour training course in the operation of this vehicle
- 22 hours
Start engine.......... Wait for them to finish, approximately (__) seconds before attempting to start engine
If No Start ....... Maximum crank time is (__) seconds, then rest for (__) seconds. Repeat (__) times
Crank for 15 sec , Rest 15 sec, Repeat 3 time then call shop
Check gauges (at______ RPM)
AIR BRAKE SYSTEMS... Describe operation of apparatus compressed air system
- 1.Emergency brakes set automatically at _________ PSI
- 2. Low air warning ________ PSI
- 3. “Cut In” pressure _________ PSI
- 4. “Cut Out” pressure ________ PSI
Inter Axle Differential Lock; also called a Power Divider Lock ( NEVER use on)?
- On any hard surface or when a material overlays a hard surface.
- DO NOT apply during aerial operations at any time.
- Never drive and / or turn on hard or improved roadway surfaces in differential lock mode, always return to the differential unlocked mode.
Loick engaged may break driveline components such as axles and will damage tires.
Inter Axle Differential Lock; also called a Power Divider Lock..(Use when conditiond are)?
Use in low traction condition (sand or mud)
When to switch from unlocked operation to differential locked operation
- When the apparatus is stopped
- Traveling in a straight line at a speed of less than 12 mph with both wheels are spinning at the same RPM.
a. DO NOT exceed (__) mph while in differential lock mode
Only fill hydraulic oil tank when the aerial device is in the ?
Fully bedded & retracted position to ensure that all of the systems oil has drained back into the tank
Review maintenance manual for appropriate lubricants and chart. (How many points)
OPERATION OF AERIAL LADDER DEVICE FROM PEDESTAL ( Proper sequence for operation)
- Rescue situation (Elevate – Extend above objective – Rotate to position - Lower to objective)
- Ladder pipe operations (Elevate - Extend - Charge - Rotate slowly to position)
Keep elevation angle above (___) degrees whenever possible to reduce ladder loading
Green alignment indicator light “ON” indicates that?
indicates that overlapping section rungs are aligned.
Green alignment indicator light “ OFF ” indicates that?
rungs are “NOT” aligned.
RESCUE MODE (NORMAL POSITION) - nozzle unit is attached to the aerial ladder (________) section so that nozzle tip is behind top rungs of the fly ladder section
WATER TOWER MODE - nozzle is attached to the aerial ladder fly section (___________) in front of therung.
DO NOT ADJUST THE EXTERNAL RELIEF VALVE during fire fighting operations is done?
Monthly maintenance adjustment only
THE LYFE PULLEY SYSTEM... what portion of the ladder is called the “EGRESS
The tiip portion
LYFE PULLEY USE GUIDELINES... Before attempting the rigging and rescue operation
- Establish a safety area for rigging, loading, and off loading of rescuer(s) and victims.
- Do not allow the pulley system to come into contact with any objects (rocks, cliffs, walls)
- The capacity of the pulley system is 500 lbs. or the tip load of the ladder, whichever is less.
Obtain and deploy the following rope rescue equipment to rig the aerial ladder pulley system
1. Two (2) ½” x 300’ static kernmantle ropes (400’ ropes are being ordered for this evolution) 2. Two (2) pulleys 3. Six (6) steel carabiners 4. Two (2) eight plates 4. Four (4) 1” pieces of tubular webbing 5. Two (2) prussic (Optional
Begin by separating the above listed equipment into two areas (Ladder tip area)
- Two (2) ½” x 300’ static kernmantle ropes b.
- Two (2) pulleys c.
- Two (4) steel carabiners d.
- Two (2) 1” pieces of tubular webbing to attach to the rescuer at the end of the rig
Begin by separating the above listed equipment into two areas( Ladder base or pedestal area)
- Two (2) eight plates
- Two (2) 1” pieces of tubular webbing for anchor points
- Two (2) prussic (Optional)
- Two (2) steel carabiners
A HIGH ANCHOR POINT Operation of the system requires three (3) personnel on the ladder pedestal
- 1. An aerial ladder operator
- 2. One belay person
- 3. One main (haul) line person
The MAXIMUM CAPACITY of the Lyfe Pulley System is?
Lyfe Pulley System truck crew responsibilities include? (Positions)
- 1. Captain Ladder operation team leader Rigger and belay line operator
- 2. Engineer Ladder operator
- 3. Firefighter Rigger and main line operator
- 4. Firefighter Rigger and belay line operator
EMERGENCY POWER UNIT...... The EPU on the pierce apparatus is designed to run for up to (_____) minutes use caution to prevent overheating
Performs emergency ladder operations using hydraulic pressure to retract and bed ladder
- 1. Retract first
- 2. Rotate
- 3. Lower
DO NOT engage Hydro-Gen generator PTO with ?
High Idle “ON"