The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Germinal Phase lasts how long?
First 14 days (before missed period)
What is something important that happens during the Germinal Phase?
- zygote travels down Fallopian tube, cell division
- Key: implantation, blastocyst
What percentage of natural conceptions fail to implant? Compared to vitro procedure implants?
- 60% for natural
- 70% for implant procedures
How long does the Embryo phase last?
3-8 weeks (up to 2 months)
What are some key things that develop during the Embryonic stage?
- 22 days thin line becomes neural tube
- 4th week- head takes shape, heart begins with a minuscule blood vessel that begins to pulsate
- 5th week- arms and legs buds appear, tail from spine
- 8th week- head more rounded; face formed and all basic organs and body parts (but sex) is present
How long is the Fetus Phase?
9 weeks to birth (end of first and all of 2nd and 3rd)
What important things develope during the fetus phase?
- 3rd Month- sex organs fully shaped by 12th week
- all body parts present
- Fetus Can move and weighs 3 ounces and is 2 inch long
Preparing to survive Month 4-6 key importance?
- Heartbeat stronger
- Digestive and excretory systems
- brain growth
- new neurons develop (neurogenesis)
- Synapses- connection between neurons (synaptogenesis)
Final 3 Months:
- Maturation of the respriatory and cardiovascular systems
- Gains weight
Name some complications with pregnancy?
Tertogens, timing: consider critical periods, Amount: exposure to multiple teratgens, Genetics: Nature/ Nurture interactions