Chemistry Week 3
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards. What would you like to do?
- Requires a balanced equation
- Use coefficients to balance
- Is it the cheese or the bread that limits the sandwiches?
- Has to do with population size (moles) NOT grams or weight
- What is printed on the bottled
- Number of moles present in a certain volume of solution
- Concentration x Volume= Moles
Equations for Concentration
- MolesxL= Moles
- Convert to joules
- Convert to Joules
acceleration due to gravity
- measure of how strongly molecules or atoms are bound
- Large amount of heat to make temperatures rise 1o = strong bond
- Reverse is true
Specific Heat of Water
Atoms in different configurations/ chemical structure
Molecules in different configurations
Balancing (Stoichiometric) Coefficient
Numerical multiplier of all the atoms in th formula that follows it
Molar Mass Compounds
Sum of mass of atoms in formula
Statement in formulas that express the identities and quantities of the substances involved in a chemical or physical change.
A definite amount of one substance is formed from, produces or reacts with a definite amount of the other.
Amount of product that are actually obtained.
- Actual Yield X 100%
- Theortical Yield
Substance that conducts a current when dissolved in water
- When an acid reacts with a base
- Neutralization reaction
Produces H+ ions when disolved in water.
Produces OH- ions when disolved in water
One solution of known concentration is used to determine the concentration of another solution through monitored reaction.
All moles of the H+ ions (acids) react with same number of OH- (base) ions.
When titration occures and when a tiny excess of OH- (base) changes to its color
- Releases Heat
- Absorbs Heat
Specific Heat Capacity
Quantity of heat required to change its tempurature by 1Co
used to measure heat released/ abosrbed by a physical or chemical process.
Hess's Law of Heat Summation
- The enthalpy change of an overall process is the sum of the enthalpy changes.
- /\H + /\H1= /\H2A+B=C
- substance or compound that is added to a system in order to bring about a chemical reaction or is added to see if a
- reaction occurs
- What mass of ___ can be produced from _____
- 1) Find mole ration of what you NEED (eg 1 mole ----> 2mole
- 2) Find moles of substances
- 3) Divide both by the smallest to determine # of moles
- 4) Compare with need- that which is less than need is limited reagent
- 1) Balance the reaction and determine the stoichiometry or ratios of reactants to products.
- 2) Find the number of moles of each starting material used.
- 3) Determine which reagent is limiting.
- 4) Calculate the moles of product expected if the yield were 100% based on the limiting reagent. (moles x grams)
- 5) Calculate the grams of product corresponding to the number of moles expected.
Spreading out of solute
Volume of orginal solution + Volume of added solvent = Volume of diluted solution
- Sustances which undergo a detectable chage at the completeion of a seperate chemical reaction.
- Usually Acid-Base indicators undergo a color change at the completion of Acid-Base Titration
Dye extracted from the inner bark of a south american tree.
Six Forms of Energy
Chem Nursing Lecture
All forms of enrgy are...
- When all of the PE can be converted to KE and vice versa
Deforming and object
- System in which energy is lost
The study of heat flow or how energy is converted to useful heat and work
amount of heat when added to 1gram of water cause the temperature to rise 1oC
- amount of heat added to specifically 1kilogram of a substance to raise its temperature 1oC
- Specifies certain conditions
- Reversible (rising dropping)
Dulong's Petit's Law
- Specific Heat of metals, when multiplied by their molar mass is a constant.
- Implies that metals share the same type of bonding.
- Standard Temperature and Pressure
- 0oC (standard temperature)
- 1atm (standard pressure
- The physical state (gas, liquid or solid) in which an element or compount is found at:
- 25oC (room temperature)
- 1atm (standard pressure)
/\Horxn= Sum of all /\Hof (products) - Sum of all /\Hof (Reactants)
Heat or Enthalpy of any Reaction
Measures the heat evolved in a chemical reaction
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview