Pharmacology Chapter 10
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
There is a ___________ therapeutic index on drugs for HIV for children
HIV infected women should not
what is used to prevent maternal transmission of HIV to fetus?
HIV replication can be ______ but not ______
Protoype: rimantadine (Flumadine)
- MOA: prevents shedding of the outer viral coat of the virus
- Caution: People who have renal disease may have sensitivity
- Adverse effects: Orthostatic hypotension, insomnia, dizziness, urinary retension
- Must be given early in course for treatment to be effective with 24-48 hours of symptoms
Prototype: acyclovir (Zovirax)
- MOA: affects DNA replication
- Caution: can’t use in pregnancy or lactation, caution with renal disease, at best safety in children not established- at worst carcinogenic
- Adverse: N/V, HA, depression, rash, hair loss
- Might be given to prevent outbreak
_____ is an antigen on the surface of T helper cells that is the primary receptor for HIV which results in HIV primarily infecting _____ positive T helper lymphocytes.
Highly Active Antiretroviral Therapy (HAART)
uses atleast 3 drugs
Adverse effects of HAART drugs:
- Adverse effects of these medications:
- Lipid disorders- elevate cholesterol
- Increased risk of diabetes
- Increased cardiovascular diseases
- Increased risk of osteoporosis
- At risk for nephrotoxicity
- *Multiple drug interactions
Atripla is what
most common first line therapy for HIV. Has 3 drugs in it
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview