Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
Which STDs have to be reported to the CDC?
- HIV & AIDS
What is Syphilis?
- An STD that can become systemic and cause serious complications and even death.
- Usually transmitted through Sexual Contact, but transmission can occur through close body contact and kissing
- an ulcer or chancre
- 1st sign, develops usually at the site of exposure
- Highly infectious stage
develops in 6 weeks to 6 months after onset of primary syphilis
Rash is contagious
what is Syphilis treated with?
- PCN G
- 1 shot for stages I and II 3 shots for stage III
- stage IV in terminal
which stds are bacterial
most contagious in mucosal surfaces
HPV is related to ...
- cervical cancer
- anal and oral cancer
benign prostate hyperplasia
glandular units in the prostate the undergo an increase in the number of cells resulting in enlargement of the prostate gland
The enlargement will be uniform in size and will not be painful or tender to palpation
- reduced force and size of stream
- sensation of incomplete bladder emptying
- postvoid dribbling
drug treatment for BPH
- Finasteride (Proscar)
- Dutasteride (Avodart)
lower the body's level of DHT (natural androgen) and can shrink the prostate but can take up to 6 months
side effects of 1st category BPH Drugs
Finasteride (Proscar) and dutastride (Avodart)
- Proscar cannot be touched by childbearing female
BPH Drug Therapy 2nd Category
Alpha Blocking Agents Tamsulosin (Flomax) and Alfuaosin (Uroxatral). These drugs can be directly restricting the size of the prostate thereby restricting blood flow
Alpha Blocking agents not only restrict the size of the prostate by restricting blood flow they also.....
act to lower BP
Surgical Procedure for BPH
- transurethral resection of the prostate(most common)
what is the number 1 complication with TURP?
- bleeding/hemorrhage early on
- bright red blood = arterial (notify MD Immediately) Monitor H&H
what to expect post op TURP
foley with large bulb 35-45cc and triple lumen
pt teaching TURP
- pt will have indwelling foley with bulb 35-45cc
- Hematuria is normal (pink with small clots)
- Expect continuous bladder irrigation
surgical procedures other than transurethral TURP for BPH
- Suprapubic prostatectomy
- Retropubic prostatectomy
- Perineal prostatectomy
surgeon makes incision between the scrtom and the rectum and removes the BPH tissue from below
surgeon removes the BPH tissue directly through an abdominal incisions
surgeon approaches the prostate throughan incision in the urinary bladder and uses a finger to remove the BPH`
remove the whole prostate
- Side effects/complications:
- ED due to damage to the pudendall nerve
- Possible urinary incontinence
what drugs are contraindicated if patient taking ED Drugs?
what are side effects for ed drugs
- facial flushing headache
- orthostatic hypotension
encourage testicular cancer patients to ......
3 most common causes of postmenopausal bleeding that is noncancerous
- Atrophic Vaginitis
- Cervical Polyps
- Endometrial Hyperplasia
what is secondary Amenorrhea
menstruation that has started but has stopped and has not returned for more than 3 months
most common causes of Secondary Amenorrhea
what is endometriosis?
the endometrial tissue implants outside of the uterine cavity
2 most common symptoms of endometriosis
pain and infertility
- others include:
- pain, dyspareunia, painful defecation, sacral backache, hypermenorrhea, fertility
drug therapy for endometriosis
Lupron, Danocrine, danazol: causes medical menopause (should only take 6/8 months)
sign and symptoms of menopause
- hot flashes
- night sweats
- short term memory loss
- decreased concentration
why isn't hormone therapy used much anymore?
cervical cancer risk
best way to prevent TSS
handwashing before and after
what is the reason most hysterectomy are done
uterine leimyomas (fibroid)
- fibroids that are benign
- pain is atypical
- most women seek medical care because the heavy bleeding
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview