Test Exam I.8 Red Algae
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards
. What would you like to do?
Largely __, a few __; abundant in __/ Majrity tend to like __.
Usually __; individuals torn loose usually __; none are __.
Some precipitate __ and become __; important contributor to __ (along with __)
Deepest plant life found: __ (deepest photosynthetic organism around)
- tropical waters
- warmer water
- attached to a substrate
- free floating
- calcium carbonate
- 800 feet
Thallus is relatively simple; explain.
- 2 genera unicellular
- a few with an expanded thallus (flattened and bladelike)
- most are filamentous; either a single branching filament or a central group of filaments (central strand) with numerous branches
Contain only __ (no second type of chlorophyll) only group of true algae to contain __.
Most __, __, and __
- chlorophyll a
- phycobilins [like cyanobacteria] (mainly phycoerythin, sometimes a small amount of phycocynanin)
- motile cells
- diplobiontic, isomorphic, triphasic
__ were ancestral to __, no questions asked.
Stored food is __, which has what kind of glucose.
Where is it stored?
- made of __
- has __ (hold on to water)
- what is located between two adjacent cells?
- red algae
- starch (floridian starch_ with alpha glucose
- stored in cytoson
- pores between two adjacent cells that is plugged up
- no __ (none on reproductive structures or adults)
can be __, but some have several.
Human Relevance of Red Algae
__: in some waters, the corralline algae are as important, if not more important than __ for __.
__: primarily in Asia, but their use is growing in the US
a) __: sushi wrappers; total protein is __ of __.
b) Japan-cultures this alga and produces __ of world's total production (__ seeded onto __)
c) ~40000 tons/ year produced worldwide
d) total market value (1993): $1.8 billion
direct food source
- dry weight
- nori nets
__: was an important substitute for potatoes during the Irish potato famine of 1845-46. Its still gathered today.
Occurs off both the Atlantic and Pacific coasts of North America
Popular snack in Maine and Eastern Canada- "__"
Nova Scotia popcorn
__, a carbohydrate extracted from cell walls, has properties similar to algin
- Many uses industrialyl
- Used mainly as an __, __, __, etc.
a) Used as a __ to __; organisms do not use the __ itself but use nutrients that have been added to the agar
b) __- highly purified __, used in __ to separate proteins, DNA fragments (to produce DNA fingerprints)
c) Good inert carrier for __, eg. antibiotics, vitamins, when slow release
- base to culture bacteria, fungi,, plant cells, or meristems
- gel electrophoresis
- encapsulating drugs
__, a carb extracted from cell wall, has properties similar to __ and __
- Principal sourc is __
- Some species of red algae are cultured for their __.
Uses: used mainly as a __(3)__
Used mroe extensively in dairy foods than __.
- Chondrus crispus (Irish moss)
- carageenan content
- stabilizer, emulsifier, thickener
The __ of some red algal extracts have been tested and found to be highly toxic to many microorganisms. Also have adverse efffects on certain __(3)__. These toxins are __, unlike many insecticides.
- antibiotic properties
- spider mites
Some compounds found in red algae have demonstrated some __.
eg: Halomon: Brain, renal (kidney), and colon tumor cell lines are the most sensitive to this compound.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview