The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- German composer known especially for his romantic operas,often based on Germanic legends. (1853-1874).
- An entertainment,such as a dramatic or musical performance,given in the daytime,usually in the afternoon.
- A system,such as mail,telephone,or television,for sending and receiving messages.
- To give or make available; provide
- Characterized by ludicrous or incongruous distortion,as of appearance or manner.
ill at ease
- [il æt iːz]
- Nervously uncomfortable.
- Awkwardly tall or long-limbed; rangy
- To afflict with severe or widespread suffering and devastation; ravage.
- To chastise severely; excoriate.
- To flog.
- An inflammation followed by itchy irritation on the hands,feet,or ears,resulting from exposure to moist cold.
- To break without complete separation of parts; fissure
- To mutilate the legs or feet of (a horse) in order to induce a particular gait in the animal.
- Having subcutaneous tissue exposed
- To grope awkwardly to find or to accomplish something
- A woman who runs a rooming house or an inn; an innkeeper.
- A woman who owns and rents land,buildings,or dwelling units.
- Made of flax or linen.
- A woman's loose dress-length housecoat.
- A smock worn to protect one's clothing from dust.
- A hat of cloth or straw,held in place by ribbons tied under the chin,that is worn by women and children.
- A school of music or dramatic art.
- A greenhouse,especially one in which plants are arranged aesthetically for display,as at a botanical garden.温室
- Lacking adult maturity or experience; immature
- A young man; a youth.
- Ridiculously incongruous or unreasonable.See Synonyms at foolish
- Bony and lean; gaunt
- Wearing spectacles.
- The final result; the outcome.See Synonyms at effect
- Difficult or impossible to explain or account for
- A foolish,unreasoning,or extravagant passion or attraction.See Synonyms at love
- To evade or escape from,as by daring,cleverness,or skill
- Blame; rebuke.
- Property designated by a householder as the householder's home and protected by law from forced sale to meet debts.
- [ˈkwɔːrtə ˈsekʃən]
- 1/4 section
- A land unit equal to one square mile (2.59 square kilometers),640 acres,or !/36 of a township.
- An extensive area of flat or rolling,predominantly treeless grassland,especially the large tract or plain of central North America.
- Orbital motion about a point,especially as distinguished from axial rotation
- A turning or rotational motion about an axis.
- A pit dug into the ground or on a hillside and used as a shelter.
- A shallow body of liquid waste material,as one in a dump.
- A supply accumulated for future use; a store.
- To wander about at random,especially over a wide area; roam.
- A relative who is a woman.
- Easy to notice; obvious.
- Attracting attention,as by being unusual or remarkable; noticeable.See Synonyms at noticeable
- A style of dress characteristic of a particular country,period,or people,often worn in a play or at a masquerade.
- A prevalent fashion of dress,including garments,accessories,and hairstyle.
- The act or process of decorating,adorning,or embellishing.
- One that makes women's clothing,especially dresses.
- To walk or stand,especially habitually,with the head and upper back bent forward.
- The part of the body that lies between the thorax and the pelvis and encloses the stomach,intestines,liver,spleen,and pancreas.Also called belly
- Of,relating to,or containing an alkali.
- Continuing without interruption.See Synonyms at continual
- Tedious sameness or repetitiousness
- The capability of eliciting intense interest or of being very attractive.
- The state of being intensely interested or attracted
- Expressing reverence; reverent.
- A long,narrow padded board,often with collapsible supporting legs,used as a working surface for ironing.
- To repeat or utter aloud (something rehearsed or memorized),especially before an audience.
- In certain languages,the inflection of nouns,pronouns,and adjectives in categories such as case,number,and gender.
- The inflection of a particular verb.
- A body of myths concerning an individual,event,or institution
- A portable instrument with a small keyboard and free metal reeds that sound when air is forced past them by pleated bellows operated by the player.
- To mend (a garment,for example) by weaving thread or yarn across a gap or hole.
- Having component elements pleasingly or appropriately combined
- Exhibiting accord in feeling or action.
- Characterized by harmony of sound; melodious.
- The suffering of death by a martyr.
- The state of being a martyr.
- Filthy or dirty; foul.
- Morally degraded
- A room intended or equipped for studying or writing.
- A shed for housing cows.
- A French Protestant of the 16th and 17th centuries.
- An extended piece in three or more movements for symphony orchestra,essentially a large-scale,complex sonata.
- An instrumental passage in a vocal or choral composition.交响曲
- An instrumental overture or interlude,as in early opera.
- A large group of musicians who play together on various instruments,usually including strings,woodwinds,brass instruments,and percussion instruments.
- The instruments played by such a group.
- Lacking self-confidence; shy.
- Fearful and hesitant
- A young cow or bull.
- Unable to move or act.
- Sluggish in action or motion; lethargic.See Synonyms at inactive
- A state of alarm or dread; apprehension.See Synonyms at fear
- An involuntary trembling or quivering.
- A common,coarse-grained,light-colored,hard igneous rock consisting chiefly of quartz,orthoclase or microcline,and mica,used in monuments and for building.
- One of Kings of Egypt
- Something unsubstantial or trivial.
- A mass of bubbles in or on a liquid; foam.
- Salivary foam released as a result of disease or exhaustion.口边白沫
- The act or an instance of fretting.
- Irritation of mind; agitation.恼怒;激怒
- An architectural support or base,as for a column or statue.
- Gold or silver in the form of bars,ingots,or plates.
- Appearing worn and exhausted; gaunt.
- Wild and intractable. Used of a hawk in falconry.
- A dealer in men's furnishings.
- Being truly so called; real or genuine
- The outline of a figure,body,or mass.
- A contour line.
- The fitted part of a dress that extends from the waist to the shoulder.
- Obsolete A corset.
- 【废语】 妇女紧身胸衣
- A flickering or tremulous light; a glimmer.
- Thin,fine,and transparent
- To give over possession of,as in deference or defeat; surrender.
- A moderate grayish violet to moderate reddish purple.
- A pale to light or moderate purple.
- An artist,a composer,or a writer who practices or upholds the theories of impressionism.
- Illuminated by the sun.
- The act or a stroke of daubing.
- A soft,adhesive coating material,such as plaster,grease,or mud.
- A mechanism rotated by people treading on the moving steps of a wheel.
- A monotonous task or set of tasks seeming to have no end.
- A surface shininess or luster.
- A superficially or deceptively attractive appearance.
- Not bright or vivid. Used of a color
- Short for violoncello：A four-stringed instrument of the violin family,pitched lower than the viola but higher than the double bass.
- Any of a family of stringed instruments,chiefly of the 16th and 17th centuries,having a fretted fingerboard,usually six strings,and a flat back and played with a curved bow.
- One that performs magic tricks; a magician.
- A sorcerer or sorceress.
- [riːl aut]
- To wind on or let out from a reel.
- A long,thin strip
- An instrumental composition intended especially as an introduction to an extended work,such as an opera or oratorio.
- A similar orchestral work,such as one written as a concert piece or an introduction to a play.
- A wind instrument made of an animal horn.
- A brass wind instrument,such as a trombone or tuba.
- A wind instrument,such as a trumpet or saxophone,used in a jazz band.
- A state of violent mental agitation or wild excitement.
- Temporary madness or delirium.
- A mania; a craze.
- To form a deep ditch or channel.
- A fine-grained,firm earthy material that is plastic when wet and hardens when heated,consisting primarily of hydrated silicates of aluminum and widely used in making bricks,tiles,and pottery.
- An enclosure for confining livestock.
- A narrow bed,especially one made of canvas on a collapsible frame.
- To fasten or attach with or as if with a tack
- An independent piece written for piano and usually based on a single,short thematic motif.
- A state of extreme confusion or agitation; commotion or tumult
- The brass and woodwinds sections of a band or an orchestra.
- Wind instruments or their players considered as a group.
- Perception; understanding
- Range of vision.视野、眼界
- View; sight.
- Complete; absolute; entire
- To send forth with the voice
- Zoology An elongated,flexible,unsegmented extension,as one of those surrounding the mouth or oral cavity of the squid,used for feeling,grasping,or locomotion.
- To mix and work into a uniform mass,as by folding,pressing,and stretching with the hands
- The inner surface of the hand that extends from the wrist to the base of the fingers.
- Excessively; immoderately
- Expanded by or as if by internal pressure; distended
- A continuous,unwavering course.See Synonyms at tendency
- The highest natural adult male voice.
- To dry up or shrivel from or as if from loss of moisture.
- A flat,usually rectangular structure composed of a rigid material,such as wood,glass,or metal,fixed at right angles to a wall or other vertical surface and used to hold or store objects.
- Something,such as a projecting ledge of rock or a balcony,that resembles such a structure.
- One who travels aimlessly about on foot,doing odd jobs or begging for a living; a vagrant.
- A heavy footfall.
- A walking trip; a hike.
- A yarn-dyed cotton fabric woven in stripes,checks,plaids,or solid colors.
- To be or become effective; win out
- A card game in which the players lay wagers on the top card of the dealer's pack.
- To set with studs or a stud
- To be scattered over
- To confuse or trouble with uncertainty or doubt.See Synonyms at puzzle
- A song of praise or thanksgiving to God or a deity.
- A song of praise or joy; a paean.颂歌
- To measure precisely.
- To determine the capacity,volume,or contents of.
- To evaluate or judge
- Suds from soapy water.
- A watertight cylindrical vessel,open at the top and fitted with a handle; a bucket.
- A great flood.
- A heavy downpour.
- P of bear,亲自携带;运输
- To carry on one's person; convey.
- Constituting a very large,indefinite number; innumerable
- To give up (a title,for example),especially by formal announcement.See Synonyms at relinquish
- To reject; disown.拒绝;否认
- A fabric of matted,compressed animal fibers,such as wool or fur,sometimes mixed with vegetable or synthetic fibers.
- A small rack,prop,or table for holding any of various articles
- To weep aloud with convulsive gasping; cry uncontrollably.See Synonyms at cry
- A steep headland,promontory,riverbank,or cliff.
- Thin and bony; angular.See Synonyms at lean 2
- A large North American bird (Meleagris gallopavo) that has brownish plumage and a bare,wattled head and neck and is widely domesticated for food.
- Items or material discarded or rejected as useless or worthless; trash or rubbish.