Test 1.3b True Algae
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Composed of __
Nearly all are __
euk cells: uni; col; multi
lack vascular tissues
Differ from other euk photosynthetic organisms in that they exibit one of hte following
Plants produce __ that are surrounded by at least __.
- a) the organisms themselves function as gametes and unite to form a zygote
- b) the gametes are produced in unicellular gametangia
- c) gametes produced in multicellular gametangia in which every cell is fertile
one sterile layer of cells
Most have a __; __depends on the group of algae.
Photosynthetic species contain __ and usually a second type of __ in chloroplats; chloroplast shape varies. The red algae contain only __.
- cell wall
- chl a
- chlo (bcd)
- chl a
__ are produced in all groups except the __. __ means that the cells have __.
- motile cells (either adult, gametes, or spores)
- red algae
Cell division by __ or __, depending on where in the __
no cellular or nuclear fusion; no recombination of genetic material; offspring genetically identical to parent
- ex: cell division
- production of spores, each of which develops into a new individual
involves fusion of haploid hametes to form a zygote; also involves meiosis at some point in the life cycle; in many algae, the gametes are produced by mitosis
Three types of sex reproduction based on size and motility of gametes
gametes equal in size and shape; most motile, bust some immobile; designated + and -
gametes similar in shape but differ in szie; both usually motile; often designated male and female
gametes differ in size
larger gamete immobile; designated the egg; produced in the oogonium
smaller gamete motile; designated the sperm; produced in the antheridium and must swim to the egg
In general, algal phyla are based on four characteristics
2) stored food reserves
3) cell wall composition
4) presence or absence of flagella (including number, length, type, place of insertion)
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview