Wildlife Test Review Evolution
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
What animal were people getting killed over?
What were one of the first gun laws?
- restricted ownership of cross-bow or gun to authorized persons
- 1500s Europe
What all was exploited?
anything that could make money
How did the Roman Invasion & Occupation affect the evolution of WDLM?
- more forest clearing
- trees cut down to fuel Roman bathhouses
How did the Norman conquest affect the evolution of WDLM?
- forests only for Kings to hunt in
- population increase
How did the post Norman conquest affect the evolution of WDLM?
- people ate more game
- industry increased
- more demand for fuel, reducing woodlands
When was exploitation outlawed?
What other species became extinct in the period of exploitation?
- labrador duck
- heath hen
- carolina parakeet
What was thinking like in the paleolithic times?
you catch it/kill it, its yours
What was the Ground Game Act?
- tenant farmers could control depredating rabbits and hares
How was hunting controlled before WWI?
- uncontrolled except for breeding season
- any tool to give hunter advantage was legal
- caused over-exploitation
Who was the last passenger pigeon?
- died in a zoo in 1914
How did WWII and after affect the evolution of WDLM?
- # of guns owned by people increased
- organizations control hunting in the field
- field sports available
- institutions purchasing hunting rights
- 200 year old hunting seasons
What animal was extinct by 1840?
What animal was extinct after sea otter skins were being exported?
Stellar's sea cow
How did the colonists view wildlife?
- they finally can utilize wildlife & natural resources
- overwhelmed by superabundance
- no reason to believe the wildlife needs to be conserved
- begin Era of exploitation
Why was the superabundance of wildlife drastically reduced by the late 1800s?
- wildlife seen as commodity
- no aesthetic or recreational value
- no one had any idea about ecology
- no management
Why was there so much uncontrolled exploitation in market hunting and what two species were hurt the most?
- percussion rifle & railroad
- passenger pigeon & bison
What animals suffered because of the fur industry?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview