Wildlife Test Review population growth rates
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Why is the intrinsic rate of increase useful?
- predict results from management activity
- hypothesize dynamics of a population
- test hypothesis about population dynamics
What are finite rates?
- simple expressions of observed values
- based on years
What are instantaneous rates?
- time base is very short rather than terms of a month or a year
- more realistic to use
What will any population have?
- mean longevity or survival rate
- mean birth rate
- mean growth rate of individuals
What is the intrinsic rate of increase?
- exponential rate of increase for a population with a stable age distribution and no resources are lacking
- provides a baseline
What influences the intrinsic rate of increase?
If the number surviving and the number dying are fixed...
each part of the population increases at the same rate.
What would you like to do?
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview