Wildlife Test Review population growth rates
Home > Preview
The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
Why is the intrinsic rate of increase useful?
- predict results from management activity
- hypothesize dynamics of a population
- test hypothesis about population dynamics
What are finite rates?
- simple expressions of observed values
- based on years
What are instantaneous rates?
- time base is very short rather than terms of a month or a year
- more realistic to use
What will any population have?
- mean longevity or survival rate
- mean birth rate
- mean growth rate of individuals
What is the intrinsic rate of increase?
- exponential rate of increase for a population with a stable age distribution and no resources are lacking
- provides a baseline
What influences the intrinsic rate of increase?
If the number surviving and the number dying are fixed...
each part of the population increases at the same rate.
Home > Flashcards > Print Preview