The flashcards below were created by user
on FreezingBlue Flashcards.
- Prolonged holding
- Spot touching
- Accidental holding
- no contact
- Conscious actions
- Direct verbal translation
- e.g. thumbs up, nod, head posture
- Using an object not for it's purpose
- Directly linked with words
- Illustrate conversation
- e.g. baton to point at someone to convey a mesage
- Used to make transition
- More than one person
- e.g. "What do you think?" "So..."
- Biting your fingernails
- The study of cultural patterning of spatial separation individuals maintain during face-to-face conversations
- Distances depend on nature of mutual involvement and culture
- 4 proxemic zones in America: Intimate, personal, social, and public
- Study of body language and movement
- Facial expressions: range of emotions
- Eye contact: conveys attention, confidence, intention
- Body Posture: attitude to face-to-face interaction
- Hand gestures: can be specific to language
How does language relate to kinesics/proxemics?
- Spacing and movement can be used to determine things that one may not convey with language
- Looking at posture, eye contact, etc. can show whether someone is confident, nervous, etc.